DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Can I use any of this equipment with the A1/G1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/79251-can-i-use-any-equipment-a1-g1.html)

David Wendt November 9th, 2006 02:55 PM

Can I use any of this equipment with the A1/G1

I have a Sony DSR 250 that I plan on selling to help with the Cost of a new HD camera. It has a Century Optics .65X wide-angle adapter (72mm) I also have a Century Optics Matte Box with 4x4 filter system mounted using 15mm rods (Vocas). Can I use these on the A1/G1 or should I sell them with the camera?

Also I have a Sony SD 9" Field Monitor that has a 16X9 option and a Sony DSR-11 deck. Can I use any of this equipment with the A1/G1?

Will my Bogen 516 head work with it fine or is it designed for bigger cameras? And if it will work does the camera come with a quick release plate or would I need to buy one separate.

One last question, What is the most cost effective setup to take advantage of the G1's HD-SDI output and roughly how much would that cost.

Thank you

Bogdan Tyburczy November 9th, 2006 03:44 PM

Century Optics .65X wide-angle adapter (72mm): if it's thread-mount, it will fit but there may be optical problems, like with bayonet adapters (not to say it will not be usable).

Sony SD 9" Field Monitor: will work fine since XH A1 can output SD signal both in HD and SD mode.

Sony DSR-11 deck: will be useful only in 60i DV (SD) mode. Not compatible with Canon's F mode (and HDV obviously).

Does the camera come with a quick release plate: no. You will need to buy Canon TA-100 plate (~$130).

David Wendt November 9th, 2006 04:01 PM

Thank you Bogdan, that was very helpful. Should I sell my 250 with all the extras or should I sell them seperate?

Bogdan Tyburczy November 9th, 2006 04:37 PM

David -

I don't have the answer to your question. It depends on too many things. It's your personal choice. Many people have similar dilemmas. Search other threads and forums for many useful opinions and suggestions.

If you don't make your living out of 60i SD, then you should let go the deck.

Bill Pryor November 9th, 2006 04:37 PM

The matte box might work if the rear opening is big enough or if you can get an adapter to fit. However, you might get some vignetting when shooting wide angle at 16:9 if the box isn't wide enough. The 72mm wide angle adapter should fit if the A1 has 72mm threads in addition to the bayonet mount, but since the A1 has 16:9 chips, this particular adapter may not be the best and could give you more distortion out near the edges of the frame. You'd have to try it out to be sure.

You might get a better price out of the 250 if you sell it with all the accessories. How many head hours do you have on the 250, and what batteries and charger?

David Wendt November 9th, 2006 08:04 PM

Thank you for the information Bill. My DSR 250 has the following hours:

Operation
15X10H
Drum Run
9X10H
Tape Run
4X10H
Threading
9X10

I have the Sony BC-M50 charger and (4) BP-L40A Batteries. These batteries also power my Sony 9" field monitor.

Bill Pryor November 9th, 2006 08:24 PM

That camera is practically new with those hours--you ought to be able to get a pretty good price. I shoot mostly with a DSR500, but I intercut footage from the DSR250 all the time. That camera has always looked better than it ought to, and it's nice to be able to shoot for 3 hours for events and things like that.