Upgrading to the A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 11th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Upgrading to the A1

I currently use a VX2100..
Question is this: will VX footage intercut with A1 in SD 4:3 OK, or will there be a noticeable quality difference?
If there is, I guess I could use the VX for close, and the A1 for other shots; is that reasonable..?
Or should I look to get rid of the VX..? (Be nice to have a second camera, tho'...)
Rgs, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ross Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

With the extensive image adjustment controls available in the A1, it should be a rather straightforward process to devise an A1 custom preset that will match the look of the VX2000. You'll have to put both cameras side by side and switch back and forth between the two on a good monitor in order to dial the A1 into the same look and feel of the VX2000. The more time you can spend on matching them up, the better; the good news is that you'll only need to do the hard work once or maybe twice (an indoor setting and an outdoor setting). From that point on, matching the two together should only be a matter of tweaking the custom preset that you've created on the A1. Hope that's clear,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #3
Major Player

I've heard rumor the quality in SD on the HDV cameras is superior to any straight-up SD camera (like the 170 or vx2100) especially when recorded in HDV and converted to SD in post or capture. I wonder how well they would match up in an a/b camera config. I think it would be acceptable for a wedding or event, but a documentary or interview might be too noticeable I think

That would be an interesting test if anyone owns a good 3 ccd SD camera and the A1/G1. I'd love to see it.... both recorded in HDV and downconverted and recorded in SD compared to an SD cam.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Vx & A1

Yes, seeing VX footage side by side with the A1 in SD or downconverted HDV->SD would be iteresting indeed..
But as Chris says, the A1 should be tweakable enough to get a close match to the VX,,
So I guess it's worth keeping the VX..
Rgds, Ross
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
I've heard rumor the quality in SD on the HDV cameras is superior to any straight-up SD camera
You can easily dial that superiority right out, if you wish.

Quote:
especially when recorded in HDV and converted to SD in post or capture.
Any HDV camcorder will also natively record in standard definition. In fact that will be a key step in matching the look of an SD camera.

Old November 11th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Really see no point in recording in SD mode on the camera when a NLE downconvert will: make sure you have a higher res image after the fact in case you ever need it and also effectively speaking on the downconvert you will be working in a higher color space.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Recording in SD ?

Noel,
I completely agree: I'd prefer to record in highest quality available, but my question stemmed from the idea of using the VX2100 as camera B, and whether the quality difference would be huge cutting between the A1 & the VX. Obviously the 16:9 for the VX is going to be nowhere near the A1 (I would assume...), but shooting 4:3, I'd need to use the A1 in SD mode anyway...
So if I upgraded to the A1, is it worth keeping the VX - that's the overall question..
Thx, Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old November 11th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

If the goal is to match a standard definition camera, then yes you would want to shoot in standard def with the A1. Higher resolution and a better color space is going to work *against* you if the primary goal is to match the look of an SD camera. The idea is to make them look the same, right?

Old November 11th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

A1 / Vx2100

Chris, yes, in my hypothetical example, I'd want to be able to cut without it being obvious (match the picture from each).. my VX produces good images but it's limited (really) to 4:3.. so to have two cameras would be nice in that situation..
However, I have some work coming up that's likely to need 16:9 final product, so I'm thinking of the A1.. but then I won't have a camera B option (not that it will really need it in this case, as it's a talking head thing..).
I'm trying to decide whether a) the A1 is my next camera, and b) whether i keep the VX.. The price point for the A1 is just right..
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old November 12th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #10
Contributor

If you have to shoot with a second camera, in 16:9, use the A1 for the wide shots and shoot 16:9 with the VX for the closeups. My main camera is a DSR500WS, which has 16:9 chips (2/3"), and the second camera is a DSR250, which has the same chips as your VX. I shoot CUs all the time with it in 16:9. I softened up the 500 and saturated the color a bit and desaturated the 250 a bit, and I can get a great match. The 250 is noisier, but on CUs and even medium shots, nobody really notices the difference. You have to be a bit more careful with your lighting when using the electronic 16:9 mode because you'll get some stairstepping on overexposed diagonals that you normally don't get in its 4:3 mode. So, you can make it work if you're careful.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Bill,
Excellent..! Just what I wanted to hear.. So now I can justify keeping the VX and saving the pennies for the A1..!
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ross Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders