DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Camera not working! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/79399-camera-not-working.html)

Stu Siegal January 15th, 2007 09:07 PM

1. Boy am I glad it was my f*** up.

2. Boy am I appreciative Matthew.

3. Boy, do I not want people to panic when they read the title of this thread.

Matthew Nayman January 15th, 2007 09:08 PM

It's okay Stu, it happens to the best of us :)

Cheers

Boyd Ostroff January 15th, 2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Siegal
Boy, do I not want people to panic when they read the title of this thread.

I changed the title to help with #3 :-)

Stu Siegal January 15th, 2007 09:12 PM

And now I know why I screwed up. On the dvx, this is where the power switch is. By force of habit, when I walked away from the cam, I must have flipped that switch, which for years has been turning my cam on and off. Not anymore.

And thanks, Boyd. At least the thread might spare someone else coming over from the dvx from making the same boneheaded mistake.

Matthew Nayman January 15th, 2007 09:19 PM

Actually... your little bit about owning a DVX is what tipped me off... I worked with a DVX a while back and I kept turning it off thinking I was putting it in lock :P

Stu Siegal January 15th, 2007 09:26 PM

What I thought was really weird was that on my first shoot with the 100A, the cam actually did die.

The motor controlling the zoom simply stopped working, no manual or auto zoom. This was one of the very first 100A's, it was 10 days old - B&H has a 7 day return policy. Thankfully Jan Critteneden read a post and stepped in and fixed it, which is why I feel for you & your hot pixel, & hope Canon puts someone on these boards and does right by you.

Dave Stern January 15th, 2007 09:33 PM

that lock switch is really easy to hit and shut the cam off... almost a little too easy I think.. I am afraid of hitting it while recording... I'm sure this has happened to others

Matthew Nayman January 15th, 2007 10:06 PM

Thanks Stu,

Yeah, still no reply. I love Canon, so it kind of disappoints me that I am getting no help with this issue.

Rick Hensley January 15th, 2007 10:58 PM

Actually one could argue that the fact that the OFF is not more visible/noticeable in some way is a usability error on the designers part - seriously.

Jay Stebbins January 16th, 2007 07:22 AM

i'll have to chip in on accidently switching the lock switch, mostly during hand holding. It just needs a little more resistance in the switch. I like the location, as I find I switch the camera off all the time between shots. But as I have owned the A1 a month or two now, it has been a while since I have knocked it

Dennis Wood January 16th, 2007 10:33 AM

Did the same thing precisely when first playing with the camera. I was seriously hoping there was a standby feature somewhere I had missed and on first cracking the manual, found that there was. That's a sneaky (but handy) button.

Marty Hudzik January 16th, 2007 10:53 AM

I did the same thing.....2 hours after opening it. Took me 5 minutes to figure it out....but that was the longest 5 minutes of my life!

Philip Williams January 16th, 2007 12:06 PM

Guilty as charged. I fiddled around with my cam at home, drove 20 minutes and pulled it out of the case and thought it died. Tooke me a good 4-5 minutes to figure it out; a rough couple of minutes for sure.

Kevin Bayer February 12th, 2007 02:38 PM

A1 Standby/Lock Problem

Hello everyone,

Over the weekend, I was shooting a show in a club with the XH-A1 and at the end I turned the camera off. A minute later, I tried turning it back on and there was nothing. So obviously, I assumed it was the battery. Plugged in the power adapter and still nothing, but here's the thing, Playback would turn on, but Record modes would not. Put it away for the night and the next morning took another look. Same thing was happening. Finally, while in Record mode (though not working) I flipped to Lock and back over Standby and it came back on.

Now I'm not sure what exactly happened but I wanted to let you all know in case something like this happens again. I don't think I was near the Lock button to have possibly knocked it over, but who knows, maybe I did.

Kevin

Eric Hansen February 12th, 2007 03:47 PM

not a problem at all, this happens when you leave the camera in standby without recording or touching anything, the camera automatically "shutsdown" somewhat of a battery saver or something, this happens to me all the time when on shoots, I think it's after like 5 min. or something it will do this. To change it you must switch the switch/lock thing to lock and then back to standby to "turn it on". Sure would be nice if they made a way to turn it off like I could on my good ole GL-2. If anyone else has found out how to turn it off let me know!!!

Eric Hansen
www.ehansenproductions.com