DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Camera not working! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/79399-camera-not-working.html)

Chris Hurd July 20th, 2007 02:39 PM

I am having a difficult time understanding the nature of your problem, but my advice is to contact Canon Europa immediately and send it in to their service center for repair. That is your single best course of action.

Robert Morane October 24th, 2007 02:38 PM

Lock button is jammed

On the wheel of my A1, the playback position work fine, but I get no power on any record option, looks like the lock button do not depress on any of those recording positions.
I am in San Diego and shooting tomorrow....any idea what it is?

Steven Dempsey October 24th, 2007 03:39 PM

Yes, on the button you press for record at the back of the camera, you will see two options. One is lock and the other is standby. It probably slipped to "lock" by mistake, change it to "standby".

Robert Morane October 24th, 2007 06:42 PM

Many thanks, you are a Master and you saved my life. It works!

Logan Kellar November 20th, 2007 05:18 PM

Canon xh a1 won't turn on

Hmm I lent my canon xh a1 to my friend, and it works on the dials that let you watch what you have recorded, but it won't start up when I put it on the A dial or the M, or AV I'm not sure why anyone know? Basically any dial that lets me record doesn't let the camera start up

Don Palomaki November 20th, 2007 06:11 PM

Try switching the STANDBY/LOCK switch from Lock to Standby position.

Bill Pryor November 20th, 2007 07:26 PM

Yep--that'll do it. Almost everybody new to a Canon camera has flipped that switch accidentally.

Logan Kellar November 20th, 2007 08:38 PM

aha thanks guys!

Trish Kerr November 21st, 2007 09:35 AM

this one should really be a sticky - it would save the heart palpitations it invokes when it happens to it seems almost everybody once

been there
trish

Sebastian Baron November 21st, 2007 09:40 AM

Happened to me at 3 in the morning during a 48 hour film festival. We had shot all of the footage we needed and we were about to start editing when I realized the A1 wouldn't turn on. After going 30 hours without much sleep I was completely lost. I think I tried just about everything and then pretty much broke down. I thought we were completely screwed until I realized the obvious. Total n00b moment.

Bill Pryor November 21st, 2007 02:12 PM

It bit me, almost fatally, when I went with a flm critic to shoot an interview for an on line site with Billy Bob Thornton and Virginia Madsen. We got there an hour early, got our spot, set up some lights, and waited. While waiting we decided to do a couple of shots of the critic by himself talking about the event. Did that. No problem. It was all hand held, so I sat the camera down on the floor, stood around talking awhile, finally picked up the camera and--it wouldn't come on. PANIC!

But, just about everything that can go wrong has happend to me over the years and I figued it was something I had done. When it came on for playback mode, I knew there was some switch someplace that had moved. Then I found it. It took me maybe about 2 minutes, but it seemed like 2 hours. Definitely a heart-stopper.

Rob Katz November 21st, 2007 02:20 PM

bill-

i've read your posting about that red carpet interview on another site. in your very fine description of the "dos & don'ts" of such an event, i don't recall u discussing THAT moment of panic. it is heartening to know seasoned pros like yourself can still work around the edges of doubt. congrats for being so up front.

be well

rob

Nick Weeks November 21st, 2007 03:13 PM

Wait until you hit that switch in the middle of recording... that really bites it. You lose a good 20-25 sec. I wish someone at Canon would have made this a little more difficult to switch, or inoperable while the camera was recording.

Bill Pryor November 21st, 2007 06:19 PM

Rob, you know what the difference is between an amateur and a professional, don't you? When a pro screws up he catches it in time, and the client never knows.

Rob Katz November 21st, 2007 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 779731)
Rob, you know what the difference is between an amateur and a professional, don't you? When a pro screws up he catches it in time, and the client never knows.

bill-

i always thought a pro was not paid to try but to accomplish

by the way, your comment made me smile. thanks :)

be well

rob