DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Camera not working! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/79399-camera-not-working.html)

Wade Hanchey November 11th, 2006 05:23 PM

Camera not working!

After filming at my model flying club today, I shut off my A1. Tried to turn it back on in any camera mode and it won't come on. Came home and hooked the ac adapter up and still no go. It will come on in vcr mode and play back the tape. Tape eject mech is working also. Is there anything I've missed. I'll hate it if I have to send it in for some long service turn-around.

Holly Rognan November 11th, 2006 05:26 PM

Have you tried the standby/lock position on the record button? That sounds like the culprit.

Wade Hanchey November 11th, 2006 05:40 PM

Well bless your heart, that is exactly what it was!! It was slightly bumped out of the standby position. That's a huge relief. I'm gonna epoxy that thing in place! Holly, what is meant by Coalville? Is that WV?

Matthew Nayman November 11th, 2006 06:28 PM

Hey wade... I wouldn';t do that. It's nice to flick the cam into stand by without turning it off ;)

Wade Hanchey November 11th, 2006 07:00 PM

Just pulling your leg :)

Michael Padilla November 12th, 2006 01:15 AM

I love the standby feature.. I've used it so much!

Noel Evans November 12th, 2006 01:25 AM

I actually did do it. Took me just a moment to realise, but there was a silence. I use it everytime I take the cam out.

Wade Hanchey November 12th, 2006 07:16 AM

Honestly, I had forgotten it was even there. But now after reading about it, I can see where I will be using it quite a bit. I found myself going over each setting yesterday after turning it back on and with this switch, I won't have to do that. Of course, the gain switch could still be easily bumped.

Matthew Nayman November 12th, 2006 08:29 AM

Yeah

Heaving been an XL2 user for the last 2 years, I am not used to those switches! Standby is just aneat little button on the side.

I am gonna have to remember that whenever the heck my A1 Ships!

Michael Padilla November 12th, 2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
Yeah

Heaving been an XL2 user for the last 2 years, I am not used to those switches! Standby is just aneat little button on the side.

I am gonna have to remember that whenever the heck my A1 Ships!

That's me too.. for the past two years with an XL2..

My wife LOVES the A1.. but quite honestly I miss the XL2's features so I'm thinkin about trading in MY A1 for an XLH1.. that or I'll just have to get used to it..

I miss the weight(shoulder mount), the hard buttons, the evf, manual lens.. :)
There are some things on the A1 that simply ROCK.. and others that Canon could have made more like the XL series.. perhaps on a revision.. in two or three years.. hehehe

Chris Harris November 12th, 2006 01:24 PM

I had a similar moment yesterday with a GL2, in which someone bumped the lock and I couldn't power it on and assumed the worst. Scary!

Stu Siegal January 15th, 2007 08:01 PM

My brand new A1 is DEAD...NOT!

Scarcely two weeks old, been out on one test shoot, worked fine.

Tonight, first paying shoot, I'm 15 minutes in, everything fine so far, I walk away from the camera, come back, and its off.

OK, first I think - did I remember to disable auto power off? Yes, I know I did. Plus, I had just cracked off a shot seconds before. Second, I try a different battery. No difference. Dead. The thing is still in M mode. I shut it off, then on, several times. It flickers on once, then dead as a stone.

What's odd is that it works fine in vcr mode. But it will not power up in any recording mode.

Thank God the shoot was 10 minutes from my house and I haven't sold my dvx. Still, that took a few years off my life. Needless to say, my dealer will be getting a call tomorrow.

Anyone have any guesses?

Matthew Nayman January 15th, 2007 08:02 PM

just checking... the switch around the thumb button isn't set to lock, correct?

Stu Siegal January 15th, 2007 08:56 PM

Do you mean the one on the handle, near the mic bracket? If so, no it is not. Is there another lock? Boy I sure would love this to be operator error...

Matthew Nayman January 15th, 2007 09:01 PM

Okay... right where your thumb goes to hit record when holding the cam corder normally...

There is a circular switch which circles the button. it can be flipped from Standby to Locked.

Locked doesn't allow the camera to power up. Standby is used when shooting. You can switch it to locked to put the camera in power-off mode, and then switch back to standby to shoot again...

Or, if your camera powers itself off, you can turn it back on by switching to locked then back to standby...

Make sure your switch is on standby.