DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Camera not working! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/79399-camera-not-working.html)

Wade Hanchey November 11th, 2006 05:23 PM

Camera not working!

After filming at my model flying club today, I shut off my A1. Tried to turn it back on in any camera mode and it won't come on. Came home and hooked the ac adapter up and still no go. It will come on in vcr mode and play back the tape. Tape eject mech is working also. Is there anything I've missed. I'll hate it if I have to send it in for some long service turn-around.

Holly Rognan November 11th, 2006 05:26 PM

Have you tried the standby/lock position on the record button? That sounds like the culprit.

Wade Hanchey November 11th, 2006 05:40 PM

Well bless your heart, that is exactly what it was!! It was slightly bumped out of the standby position. That's a huge relief. I'm gonna epoxy that thing in place! Holly, what is meant by Coalville? Is that WV?

Matthew Nayman November 11th, 2006 06:28 PM

Hey wade... I wouldn';t do that. It's nice to flick the cam into stand by without turning it off ;)

Wade Hanchey November 11th, 2006 07:00 PM

Just pulling your leg :)

Michael Padilla November 12th, 2006 01:15 AM

I love the standby feature.. I've used it so much!

Noel Evans November 12th, 2006 01:25 AM

I actually did do it. Took me just a moment to realise, but there was a silence. I use it everytime I take the cam out.

Wade Hanchey November 12th, 2006 07:16 AM

Honestly, I had forgotten it was even there. But now after reading about it, I can see where I will be using it quite a bit. I found myself going over each setting yesterday after turning it back on and with this switch, I won't have to do that. Of course, the gain switch could still be easily bumped.

Matthew Nayman November 12th, 2006 08:29 AM

Yeah

Heaving been an XL2 user for the last 2 years, I am not used to those switches! Standby is just aneat little button on the side.

I am gonna have to remember that whenever the heck my A1 Ships!

Michael Padilla November 12th, 2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
Yeah

Heaving been an XL2 user for the last 2 years, I am not used to those switches! Standby is just aneat little button on the side.

I am gonna have to remember that whenever the heck my A1 Ships!

That's me too.. for the past two years with an XL2..

My wife LOVES the A1.. but quite honestly I miss the XL2's features so I'm thinkin about trading in MY A1 for an XLH1.. that or I'll just have to get used to it..

I miss the weight(shoulder mount), the hard buttons, the evf, manual lens.. :)
There are some things on the A1 that simply ROCK.. and others that Canon could have made more like the XL series.. perhaps on a revision.. in two or three years.. hehehe

Chris Harris November 12th, 2006 01:24 PM

I had a similar moment yesterday with a GL2, in which someone bumped the lock and I couldn't power it on and assumed the worst. Scary!

Stu Siegal January 15th, 2007 08:01 PM

My brand new A1 is DEAD...NOT!

Scarcely two weeks old, been out on one test shoot, worked fine.

Tonight, first paying shoot, I'm 15 minutes in, everything fine so far, I walk away from the camera, come back, and its off.

OK, first I think - did I remember to disable auto power off? Yes, I know I did. Plus, I had just cracked off a shot seconds before. Second, I try a different battery. No difference. Dead. The thing is still in M mode. I shut it off, then on, several times. It flickers on once, then dead as a stone.

What's odd is that it works fine in vcr mode. But it will not power up in any recording mode.

Thank God the shoot was 10 minutes from my house and I haven't sold my dvx. Still, that took a few years off my life. Needless to say, my dealer will be getting a call tomorrow.

Anyone have any guesses?

Matthew Nayman January 15th, 2007 08:02 PM

just checking... the switch around the thumb button isn't set to lock, correct?

Stu Siegal January 15th, 2007 08:56 PM

Do you mean the one on the handle, near the mic bracket? If so, no it is not. Is there another lock? Boy I sure would love this to be operator error...

Matthew Nayman January 15th, 2007 09:01 PM

Okay... right where your thumb goes to hit record when holding the cam corder normally...

There is a circular switch which circles the button. it can be flipped from Standby to Locked.

Locked doesn't allow the camera to power up. Standby is used when shooting. You can switch it to locked to put the camera in power-off mode, and then switch back to standby to shoot again...

Or, if your camera powers itself off, you can turn it back on by switching to locked then back to standby...

Make sure your switch is on standby.

Stu Siegal January 15th, 2007 09:07 PM

1. Boy am I glad it was my f*** up.

2. Boy am I appreciative Matthew.

3. Boy, do I not want people to panic when they read the title of this thread.

Matthew Nayman January 15th, 2007 09:08 PM

It's okay Stu, it happens to the best of us :)

Cheers

Boyd Ostroff January 15th, 2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Siegal
Boy, do I not want people to panic when they read the title of this thread.

I changed the title to help with #3 :-)

Stu Siegal January 15th, 2007 09:12 PM

And now I know why I screwed up. On the dvx, this is where the power switch is. By force of habit, when I walked away from the cam, I must have flipped that switch, which for years has been turning my cam on and off. Not anymore.

And thanks, Boyd. At least the thread might spare someone else coming over from the dvx from making the same boneheaded mistake.

Matthew Nayman January 15th, 2007 09:19 PM

Actually... your little bit about owning a DVX is what tipped me off... I worked with a DVX a while back and I kept turning it off thinking I was putting it in lock :P

Stu Siegal January 15th, 2007 09:26 PM

What I thought was really weird was that on my first shoot with the 100A, the cam actually did die.

The motor controlling the zoom simply stopped working, no manual or auto zoom. This was one of the very first 100A's, it was 10 days old - B&H has a 7 day return policy. Thankfully Jan Critteneden read a post and stepped in and fixed it, which is why I feel for you & your hot pixel, & hope Canon puts someone on these boards and does right by you.

Dave Stern January 15th, 2007 09:33 PM

that lock switch is really easy to hit and shut the cam off... almost a little too easy I think.. I am afraid of hitting it while recording... I'm sure this has happened to others

Matthew Nayman January 15th, 2007 10:06 PM

Thanks Stu,

Yeah, still no reply. I love Canon, so it kind of disappoints me that I am getting no help with this issue.

Rick Hensley January 15th, 2007 10:58 PM

Actually one could argue that the fact that the OFF is not more visible/noticeable in some way is a usability error on the designers part - seriously.

Jay Stebbins January 16th, 2007 07:22 AM

i'll have to chip in on accidently switching the lock switch, mostly during hand holding. It just needs a little more resistance in the switch. I like the location, as I find I switch the camera off all the time between shots. But as I have owned the A1 a month or two now, it has been a while since I have knocked it

Dennis Wood January 16th, 2007 10:33 AM

Did the same thing precisely when first playing with the camera. I was seriously hoping there was a standby feature somewhere I had missed and on first cracking the manual, found that there was. That's a sneaky (but handy) button.

Marty Hudzik January 16th, 2007 10:53 AM

I did the same thing.....2 hours after opening it. Took me 5 minutes to figure it out....but that was the longest 5 minutes of my life!

Philip Williams January 16th, 2007 12:06 PM

Guilty as charged. I fiddled around with my cam at home, drove 20 minutes and pulled it out of the case and thought it died. Tooke me a good 4-5 minutes to figure it out; a rough couple of minutes for sure.

Kevin Bayer February 12th, 2007 02:38 PM

A1 Standby/Lock Problem

Hello everyone,

Over the weekend, I was shooting a show in a club with the XH-A1 and at the end I turned the camera off. A minute later, I tried turning it back on and there was nothing. So obviously, I assumed it was the battery. Plugged in the power adapter and still nothing, but here's the thing, Playback would turn on, but Record modes would not. Put it away for the night and the next morning took another look. Same thing was happening. Finally, while in Record mode (though not working) I flipped to Lock and back over Standby and it came back on.

Now I'm not sure what exactly happened but I wanted to let you all know in case something like this happens again. I don't think I was near the Lock button to have possibly knocked it over, but who knows, maybe I did.

Kevin

Eric Hansen February 12th, 2007 03:47 PM

not a problem at all, this happens when you leave the camera in standby without recording or touching anything, the camera automatically "shutsdown" somewhat of a battery saver or something, this happens to me all the time when on shoots, I think it's after like 5 min. or something it will do this. To change it you must switch the switch/lock thing to lock and then back to standby to "turn it on". Sure would be nice if they made a way to turn it off like I could on my good ole GL-2. If anyone else has found out how to turn it off let me know!!!

Eric Hansen
www.ehansenproductions.com

Stefan Scherperel February 12th, 2007 04:48 PM

Look in the custom functions, you can turn it off.

Bill Pryor February 12th, 2007 07:32 PM

That was one of the first things I did, turn that off.
A few days ago I ran into that problem with the little lock switch. I had been doing a lot of handheld and moving around, putting the camera down, picking it up, etc., and the record button would do nothing. I figured I had flipped something accidentally, but it too, me a gut-wrenching moment to remember that switch. Good thing somebody on here had mentioned it a couple of weeks ago; otherwise I could have panicked.

Kevin Bayer February 12th, 2007 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Hansen
not a problem at all, this happens when you leave the camera in standby without recording or touching anything, the camera automatically "shutsdown" somewhat of a battery saver or something, this happens to me all the time when on shoots, I think it's after like 5 min. or something it will do this. To change it you must switch the switch/lock thing to lock and then back to standby to "turn it on". Sure would be nice if they made a way to turn it off like I could on my good ole GL-2. If anyone else has found out how to turn it off let me know!!!

Eric Hansen
www.ehansenproductions.com

Yeah, Bill, I completely freaked out for a night. I had a feeling though that I was being duped by the camera.

Thanks for the tips Eric & Stefan.

Douglas Villalba April 26th, 2007 09:20 AM

Problems Powering UP... HELP-SOS

I just bought the A1 a couple of days ago and I can't power it up today. I used it last night while getting used to it with no problems.

Today I was going to do the same and I can't get it to power it on. It powers on as VCR but not as camera.

Please if anyone has an answer I'll appreciate it. I have two jobs Saturday with a total of 6 HD cameras.

EDIT: I found my answer

I had the LOCK ON instead of STANDBY

I am new to CANON. I love the Image. Even my new HV20 is beautiful.

Don Palomaki April 26th, 2007 02:13 PM

Do not feel bad - you are not the first person to post that question (and answer).

Adam La Prade April 27th, 2007 08:20 AM

HELP! A1 wont turn on in any record mode, but will in playback mode.

Just like the title says. I am packing to drive up to Atlanta today for a shoot and I check my cam and find out its not turning on in any playback mode. It will, however, turn on in in VCR or EXT CONN mode.

What could be wrong!?! This is a freshly charged battery!

Stefan Scherperel April 27th, 2007 08:27 AM

Your standby switch is flipped.

Adam La Prade April 27th, 2007 08:44 AM

The LOCK switch was not engaged (i thought it might be). The same behavior happens weather or not the LOCK is engaged.

Adam La Prade April 27th, 2007 10:33 AM

Whoops, looks like that was a typo. I meant to say: It works in playback mode but does NOT work in and recording mode.

I'm typing this from a cell phone so its a little confusing...sorry! :p

Chris Hurd April 27th, 2007 11:09 AM

The previous posts indicate the answer to your problem.