DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH A1 Specs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/79403-xh-a1-specs.html)

Dave Hoyt November 11th, 2006 09:17 PM

XH A1 Specs

I'm trying to learn the differences of some A1 specs vs. another camera's (Sony Z1) - here's what I'm looking at, and wondering if someone can help me understand what I would be losing (or gaining):

XH A1 Specs:
Connections
1 x Headphones, 1 x Microphone, 1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire/i.LINK), 1 x Composite video/audio (input/output), 1 x Control-L (LANC), 1 x DC power input

Z1U Specs:
Connections
1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire/i.LINK), 1 x Composite video/audio (input/output), 1 x S-Video input / output, 1 x Component video output, 1 x Headphones, 1 x Control-L (LANC), 1 x Audio input / output, 1 x Audio input, 1 x DC power input

I'm really considering the A1 - can anyone tell me if I'll really miss the S-video in/out on the Z1? And, what is Control-L (LANC), and is it needed? Further, the Z1

Dave Hoyt November 11th, 2006 09:33 PM

XH A1 Specs

Sorry about that last thread. I'll be typing, hit the space bar, and my browser (Safari) decides that I hit "Submit New Thread".

Anyway, let me start over. I'm trying to learn the differences of some A1 specs vs. another camera's (Sony Z1) - here's what I'm looking at, and wondering if someone can help me understand what I would be losing (or gaining):

XH A1 Specs:
Connections
1 x Headphones, 1 x Microphone, 1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire/i.LINK), 1 x Composite video/audio (input/output), 1 x Control-L (LANC), 1 x DC power input

Z1U Specs:
Connections
1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire/i.LINK), 1 x Composite video/audio (input/output), 1 x S-Video input / output, 1 x Component video output, 1 x Headphones, 1 x Control-L (LANC), 1 x Audio input / output, 1 x Audio input, 1 x DC power input

I'm really considering the A1 - can anyone tell me if I'll really miss the S-video in/out on the Z1? And, what is Control-L (LANC), and is it needed? Further, the Z1 has 1xAudio in/out & 1 x Audio in - the A1 does not... at the risk of asking a dumb question, what would I use these for?... They're not referring to the main XLR inputs, right?

Also - the other big thing that I can see I would probably miss is the option to shoot in 4:3 on the Z1. Anyone else point anything out, or have any opinions on the A1 vs. the Z1? About 700. difference at a local DVInfo Sponsor... thanks for reading and any help.

Wade Hanchey November 11th, 2006 11:53 PM

Dave, I'll try and help on a couple of your questions. The A1 can record in SD at 4:3. And as for the LANC, it stands for Local Application Control Bus System. I gather that it would be where you would connect equipment such as a Varizoom lens controller.

Michael Padilla November 12th, 2006 01:00 AM

You won't miss anything.. accept for maybe the sweet (larger) LCD on the FX/Z1 series..

the Z1 doesn't have a BNC connector.. the A1 does.. which is great because my steadicam system uses BNC.. anyway, if you need an S-video you can use a BNC to S-Video cable.. real cheap anywhere online etc..
As for the LANC that is for a remote system.. very handy I use them all the time when mounted to tripods/steadicam.. see VariZoom for a good remote.
Let them know I sent you :)

as for the Audio out.. well the video out connector says A/V which reffers to audio/video.. so I'm sure it does audio in/out.

Dan Keaton November 12th, 2006 02:26 AM

Control-L (Lanc) is a two-way electrical interface that allows the connection of remote control devices to the camera.

This port is usually used for zoom and focus controllers but can be used to control other items depending on the camera. It is very useful and should be on any professional or semi-professional camera.

The Vari-zoom controllers, the Canon controllers, the Zoe controllers and others require this port.

Larry Huntington November 12th, 2006 04:03 AM

Lanc is sweet when you use it by connecting a remote like the manfrotto zoom handle on tripods. If you ever want to zoom, focus and start/stop record, without touching the camera, lanc is bank!
LH

Jason Strongfield November 12th, 2006 08:21 AM

With a remote + Lan C , you can control your lens (zoom, focus) when you are using a crane.