DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Matte Box + AF<>Manual<>AF (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/79564-matte-box-af-manual-af.html)

Graham Bernard November 14th, 2006 01:52 AM

Matte Box + AF<>Manual<>AF

Having seen where a matte box fits, could somebody try this out WITH Auto (PUSH) Focus <> Manual Focus? Please?

TIA - Grazie

Noel Evans November 15th, 2006 07:51 AM

Im using a mattebox though all my focus is manual.

Graham Bernard November 15th, 2006 08:05 AM

Understood. But CAN you momentarily apply AF? Once applied can you go BACK to MF? I do this with my Manfrotto 521Pro LANC. I'm wishing to know if using a MB does it get in the way of AF?

Chris Hurd November 15th, 2006 08:05 AM

I think Grazie is asking for a test, from somebody who has a matte box on their XH (Noel?). It seems that the Push AF button uses the Instant Autofocus feature; at least that's what we've heard. Obviously the I.AF feature is disabled whenever a matte box or other lens attachment blocks that sensor . So the question is, with the I.AF sensor blocked by a matte box, what happens when the Push AF button is pressed while the camera is in Manual Focus mode? My guess is that the Push AF button reverts to Normal AF if the Instant AF is unavailable. Who wants to test this?

Graham Bernard November 15th, 2006 08:06 AM

Thank you Chris! My Hero!! Exactly that.

Michael Wisniewski November 15th, 2006 09:06 AM

I think there might be a way to assign a custom button as a toggle for the standard autofocus. That may be the solution for those wanting to use a matte box or wide angle lens. I wonder if there's a way to re-assign the Push AF button.

Bill Pryor November 15th, 2006 11:06 AM

Noel, what mattebox are you using?

Raymond Toussaint November 17th, 2006 03:20 PM

To ask the Q again:
If you block the Instant Autofocus sensor (with a mattebox or test it with some tape), what is happening with the Push AF button?

The autofocus is using two sytems:
1) Distance reading with the instant autofocus sensor
2) and then with the second autofocus system.

What is happening if you block the IAF sensor?

What happens when the Push AF button is pressed while the camera is in Manual Focus mode and the IAF sensor is blocked??

Noel Evans November 17th, 2006 04:27 PM

Ill check it out this morning and report back. Im pretty sure though the IAF does not work with a mattbox attached, however the AF does.

Chris Hurd November 17th, 2006 04:59 PM

It's established that I.AF does not work with a mattbox attached. The only question is, how does that affect the Push AF button.

Noel Evans November 17th, 2006 10:58 PM

I can verify push AF button works with mattebox. Ill post a 3-4 second clip later... setting up for a lit shot atm.

Raymond Toussaint November 20th, 2006 02:02 PM

So then it is using the 'classic' AF system that remains operative, thanks for now!