Canons Console Software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 14th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Canons Console Software

Has anyone used this software from Canon. Currently canon is giving it to try out for XLH1 and XL2 owners I guess. Does any one know if this comes along with either A1 or G1 in the box ?
Ravi Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Ravi,

Console is approximately $500-$600 and is fully supported by the A1 and G1. There is a 30-day trial available to see if it meets your needs. I have not seen any comprehensive reviews or how it compares to the other tapeless solutions, but obviously you have much more control with Console than the others when you use a Canon camera.

Bill Doyle
Bill Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Too bad it only runs on Windows :(
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Doyle
Ravi,

Console is approximately $500-$600 and is fully supported by the A1 and G1. There is a 30-day trial available to see if it meets your needs. I have not seen any comprehensive reviews or how it compares to the other tapeless solutions, but obviously you have much more control with Console than the others when you use a Canon camera.

Bill Doyle
I just got off the phone with Canon after a frustrating morning trying to get my XH-A1 to talk to the console software. They say that it requires version 1.1, which isn't available yet. Have you been able to get the download to work?? Thanks!

JP
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #5
Trustee

I just downloaded and installed the console software, but it says "camera not supported" when I connect up my A1. Wonder when V1.1 will come out.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #6
Wrangler

I'm puzzled about this, because Canon sent out version 1.1 of Console with the loaner-for-review XH A1's last month. AFAIK, it looks to be a release version and since the A1 has been out for over a month...

I'll check with a Canon rep on Monday (but probably only if y'all remind me).

FWIW, I've given the Canon guys a hard time about the price of Console in the past and didn't buy it for my XL H1's. I still would label it as "expensive" but the more I've worked with it over the past few weeks with the A1, especially regarding the speed and ease with which you can play with presets, the more I feel it is a "must have" if you really want to get the most out of the camera.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I can confirm that you definitely need Console Version 1.1 to work with the XH A1 or XH G1.

I can also confirm that it is a very nice piece of software.

It is most helpful when adjusting presets.

It is also very nice if you have to duplicate the lighting from a previous setup. You can compare one previously recorded image to the live image from the camera.

With Version 1.0, you can not "Onion Skin" or overlay one image exactly on top of another, so that you can place the camera in the same exact spot as a previous setup, or see if some prop has moved. You have to compare two side by side images to do this. I have not tested Version 1.1, but I assume that this has not changed.

"Console" does a great job of recording. To ensure that your computer is fast enough, it has a test function in which it makes a trial recording and then reports the results.

I found that my desktop, a Pentium 4, 3.4 ghz with SATA drives far exceeded its requirements.

I tested an HP Laptop, an average laptop, costing under $1,000 when new 2 years ago, also exceeded the requirements. I thought this was great because this laptop had a slower disk drive which is typical of most laptops.

The software appears to be bug free, as far as I can tell.

I highly recommend that you call Jason Price at TapeWorksTexas (866-827-3489) and get a quote for the Canon Console Software. Be sure to specify that you need Version 1.1. TapeWorksTexas is one of DVInfo.net's sponsors and provides outstanding customer service.

One word of caution. While your camera is in External Control mode, you can operate the zoom, focus, and other controls, and the Console software operator can also adjust any of these controls and presets.

However, while in External Control mode, the LANC port which is usually used for tripod mounted zoom and focus controllers will not work. You can still use the controls on the camera.

One would normally operate the camera in External Control mode as this enables all of the Console software's features and functions.

If you just intend on using the Console software just to view the camera's image and record the footage as desired, then you can put the camera in any of the normal camera modes (as opposed to External Control mode). In this mode, the LANC port works as normal so you can use your zoom/focus controllers.

If you are in a situation wherre you can be attached to a laptop or desktop computer via a firewire cable, then I highly recommend this software over other dual or tapeless recording solutions. I have not tried long firewire cables, but I understand that they do work.

Please note that the image you see via the Console Software is delayed. For this reason I think it is best to allow the camera operator to control the zoom/focus in some situations.
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Has anyone been successful in running Console on a Mac with Parallels or Bootcamp? The Ver 1.1 owner's manual is up on the canon website now as a PDF. Hmmmm.....

Last edited by Jay Fisk; December 21st, 2006 at 03:53 PM.
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Does the Console Software successfully split up m2t 60i, 30f, and 24f material shot from the A1? This would prove invaluable (for me @ least) since HDVsplit doesnt seem to be compatible with Canon HDV.
Old December 21st, 2006, 07:45 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Michael,

If I'm understanding your question correctly, if you're referring to clips that have been recorded with Console, all it can do at that point is simply play back files. There's no capability for changing them by splitting or trimming, etc. (you can always re-name them from Windows File Explorer, of course).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:05 PM   #11
Regular Crew

here is a very short review of the console

http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomon...ssue/7398.html
Rick Hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:54 AM   #12
Trustee

I managed to download V1.1 and it works fine with my XH-A1. Has some nice features, and if it was $100 or less I would purchase it. At >$500, it's not that useful to me.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #13
New Boot

Console VISTA capable?

I am looking at Console for my A1 but am a little concerned about its useability. I am looking to buy a laptop with the Vista operating system. Does any know if I can move and operate the Console v1.1 software and license to my new computer when I buy the computer in a few months. I got really concerned when I learned that the current version of Nikon NX photo raw software is not VISTA capable. At $600 a pop I do not want to pay for Console again because it either is not compatible with the operating system or the license cannot be transfered to another machine.
Michael Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bartolo
I am looking at Console for my A1 but am a little concerned about its useability. I am looking to buy a laptop with the Vista operating system. Does any know if I can move and operate the Console v1.1 software and license to my new computer when I buy the computer in a few months. I got really concerned when I learned that the current version of Nikon NX photo raw software is not VISTA capable. At $600 a pop I do not want to pay for Console again because it either is not compatible with the operating system or the license cannot be transfered to another machine.
Im currenlty running demo verison of Console (not sure which verison but i d/l it stairght from adobe site) in Vista RC2...so i doubt their would be a problem with RTM
Tom McDougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #15
Major Player

Laptop as viewfinder++?

Would anyone please suggest a pc laptop + small monitor combo for wildlife videography; preferably with 2 USB ports and a firewire port ... robust + compact + easy on rechargeable batteries for less than $1000?
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders