DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH-A1 New York Clip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/79651-xh-a1-new-york-clip.html)

Barlow Elton November 15th, 2006 01:31 AM

XH-A1 New York Clip

A simple clip with a few quick and dirty cc's, plus a shot from Times Square.

I made it a 720p h.264 QT in order to post a longer piece with a feel for the motion and cc flexibility of the camera.

Shot 24F and edited in FCP 5.1.2

Right click and download: http://media.dvinfo.net/canonxh/FacesInTheCrowd.mov

Sergio Barbosa November 15th, 2006 03:56 AM

Pretty cool! Were you using manual or Auto focus?

Alex Leith November 15th, 2006 04:06 AM

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. Nice footage. What's the music, BTW?

Jay Stebbins November 15th, 2006 06:59 AM

Thanks Barlow, it was great to see what a little color correction would do to the images from this camera. Although I believe I was more impressed you can stand on a NYC sidewalk with a camera and no one even looks at you. Well the one guy at the end, but his eyes were rolling around like marbles and it could have been an accident.

Thank you again

Barlow Elton November 15th, 2006 08:39 AM

Thanks for the comments. :)

Manual focus with OIS engaged. Music was from a streaming internet channel that I occasionally record with a whole bunch of artists I've never heard of before. :)

Bill Pryor November 15th, 2006 09:32 AM

Thanks for the clip. I'm downloading it now even as we speak.
Did you capture and edit in a 24frame timeline in FCP?

Mike Schrengohst November 15th, 2006 10:14 AM

Barlow,
some great stuff....

Bill Pryor November 15th, 2006 10:47 AM

I just watched it. I'm sold.
I really like the sort of greenish blue look. Was that a filter or did you just tweak the color in FCP color correction? Reminds me of the old '60s Eastern European films. I always liked that look and finally discovered that lots of it was due to Agfa film.

Chris Hurd November 15th, 2006 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Stebbins
I was more impressed you can stand on a NYC sidewalk with a camera and no one even looks at you.

One word: Midtown. The Times Square area where Barlow shot this is constantly seething with tourists around the clock. As a result, digicams and camcorders are everywhere... although I can guarantee that Barlow was the only person out and around with the Black Beauty, so he probably stood out a little from everyone ese. I'm up there a couple of times a year, and I've never *not* noticed dozens of cameras of all shapes and sizes up and running in that area. I've been out there at 2am on a weeknight and it's busier than most other cities are in the middle of the day. You'll see some guys hanging out in front of the Marriott Marquis, across from the Virgin Megastore, with a camera and a portable printer, running a little business taking pictures and giving on-the-spot prints for people. In that part of town, you can get away with a handheld XH or similar camcorder fairly easily. But as soon as a tripod comes out, New York's Finest will stop and ask you for your permit.

Barlow Elton November 15th, 2006 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
But as soon as a tripod comes out, New York's Finest will stop and ask you for your permit.

Yes, thankfully a friend warned me about this, and as luck would have it, I didn't have one with me anyhow. ;) Good test of the OIS, however, which I am quite impressed with.

Bill: It was just a few simple tweaks with the FCP 3-way color corrector. Canon HDV can be far more flexible in post than most would otherwise think. And yes, I did edit in a 24 fps timeline. (HDV 1080 24p)

Mike: thanks :)

Bill Pryor November 16th, 2006 09:30 AM

Great looking footage. Makes me want to move to NY or Tokyo just so I can shoot cool nighttime stuff. I'm trying to hold off till Friday to order my A1 but might do it tonight.

Chris Hurd November 16th, 2006 10:06 PM

Can't you just go down to Westport on a weekend night? It's almost the same thing, just more... drunken.

Bill Pryor November 17th, 2006 09:41 AM

Aha, you have been to Kelly's. I can do that, but it's dark compared to NY and Tokyo, although probably much drunker on a Saturday night as you pointed out.

Chris Hurd November 17th, 2006 10:16 AM

Point taken -- Times Square is so lit up that it feels like high noon in the middle of the night. It's been quite awhile since my last stagger through Westport... I haven't done that since I was a "serious" college student back at K-State.

Bill Pryor November 17th, 2006 10:30 AM

K-State--omigawd. I work around two females who have purple on the brain.
Heyyy...that's where I should go to check out the camera: right after a winning football game. Shoot the rioting and everything. Yeah.