Wedding Highlights shot with A1 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 15th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #46
Contributor

Dana, you don't have to have a Fischer dolly to get good dolly moves. There are lots of systems out there for lightweight cameras. We have two dollys. One is a western, or doorway dolly, ie., like a cart with big flat tires and a rack and pinion steering system with push bars on each end. I can mount a tripod or pedestal, with a jib, on it.

We also got a Losmandy Spyder dolly with Flextrack, and I use it more these days. Flextrack is their solid rubber flexible track. It comes in 40 foot lengths. You can use one piece and loop it for a nice 18' run, so you don't even need two pieces. The dolly itself can be the tripod-mount configuration, or you can add a leg and put a platform and pedestal on it. There are numerous other systems with small, easy to set up track. And people make their own out of skateboard wheels and pvc pipe.

The wheelchair is an old trick I've used since way back in my 16mm days. If the floor is smooth, you can hand hold the camera and do quite well. Hand holding with somebody pushing the wheelchair looks more like a steadycam type shot. I've even used grocery carts in grocery stores...and for a conference table shot where I wanted the camera dollying down the middle fo the table I used a skateboard with my beanbag gaffertaped on, and the camera on that held by bungee cords. If it's got wheels, somebody is gonna make a dolly out of it somewhere sometime.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
Dana, you don't have to have a Fischer dolly to get good dolly moves. There are lots of systems out there for lightweight cameras. We have two dollys. One is a western, or doorway dolly, ie., like a cart with big flat tires and a rack and pinion steering system with push bars on each end. I can mount a tripod or pedestal, with a jib, on it...

...The wheelchair is an old trick I've used since way back in my 16mm days. If the floor is smooth, you can hand hold the camera and do quite well. Hand holding with somebody pushing the wheelchair looks more like a steadycam type shot. I've even used grocery carts in grocery stores...and for a conference table shot where I wanted the camera dollying down the middle fo the table I used a skateboard with my beanbag gaffertaped on, and the camera on that held by bungee cords. If it's got wheels, somebody is gonna make a dolly out of it somewhere sometime.
Thanks for the tips! I've been looking at a few possibilities for makeshift dollies. There is a nice cart at work with big rubber wheels and plenty of room for a person and a camera to ride on it that I plan to test out soon.
Joe Simon, I apologize for taking this thread somewhat off track, but seeing your smooth shots got me thinking about how I could get the same results.
Dana Acciavatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Stedi cams are great but they get expensive quick. I have an Indie dolly that has worked great for me. But to set it up at a wedding is difficult. I might try it for some pre-ceremony stuff later this month and see what happens.
Joe Simon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders