More night footage in NYC - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 16th, 2006, 02:59 AM   #16
Trustee

My heart is pounding. This is happening whenever I see A1 footage. Could it be love? :D
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #17
Trustee

BTW, what did you do on color correction?

The more I see footage from the A1 the more I think "Do I really need a 35mm adapter for this camera?". This camera doesn't have the fake digital DOF look other cameras have. The A1 has an amazing DOF and beautiful bokeh.
Old November 16th, 2006, 05:12 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
The A1 has an amazing DOF
My XL2 is way better at DOF; this is way too deep.. I have been working with it alot.. its not shallow at all!
Old November 16th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Padilla
My XL2 is way better at DOF; this is way too deep.. I have been working with it alot.. its not shallow at all!
So far I haven't seen anything AT ALL from the Xl2 that beats the A1 (dof included)

BTW, from everywhere I read you are the only person so far who is not amazed by the A1's dof/bokeh capabilities.
Old November 16th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #20
Contributor

Depth of field of both cameras is going to be the same under the same conditions because they both have the same size chips. The reason he had such shallow depth of field was because he was zoomed in really far in most of those people shots, and probably shooting pretty wide open.

About shooting people on the streets...I've shot on the streets in Chicago but have always done it hand held. Generally everybody ignored me. But here in KC everybody looks at the camera or waves or makes dumb faces if they think they're being shot. A camera with an LCD screen can help solve that problem if you're on a tripod. Flip the screen over and up against the side of the camera so you can stand beside the camera and look toward its side, ie., at a right angle to the direction of the lens. You can act like you're not really shooting (turn off the record light), and people will for the most part ignore you.

When I shot street scenes in Chicago, I did it all hand held, leaning up against lampposts, etc., for stability. I had heard that if you bring out a tripod, the gendarmes may come and want your nonexistant permit.

I may place my order for the A1 today. And then move to NY or Tokyo just so I can shoot cool nighttime street scenes (I wish).
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #21
Major Player

I love your footage! The images looked very crisp and film-like. Very impressive and thanks for sharing!
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
About shooting people on the streets...I've shot on the streets in Chicago but have always done it hand held. Generally everybody ignored me. But here in KC everybody looks at the camera or waves or makes dumb faces if they think they're being shot. A camera with an LCD screen can help solve that problem if you're on a tripod. Flip the screen over and up against the side of the camera so you can stand beside the camera and look toward its side, ie., at a right angle to the direction of the lens. You can act like you're not really shooting (turn off the record light), and people will for the most part ignore you.
I shoot a lot on the streets and I REALLY hate when some clown starts waving into the camera or making "funny" faces...new cameras should come with tasers ;-)
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:20 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
I shoot a lot on the streets and I REALLY hate when some clown starts waving into the camera or making "funny" faces...new cameras should come with tasers ;-)
damn right, last week i was helpgin shoot a short in downtown toronto (busy area, moderately comparable to nyc but by no means as hectic), there were a few bums who noticed the shoot and purposedly walked into the background whistling, makign stupid noises etc etc.!

I am being seriuosly sold on the XH-A1 over the HVR-V1!!! The night quality is absolutely fantastic.
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #24
Trustee

Thanks for posting that footage -- as has been mentioned so many times before it looks fantastic.

Does the A1 do timelapse?

Also what was the music?

I have seen some amazing night footage posted here and else where, how good does it look in bright sunlight?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Cool. Those snap zooms were nice and you use the focus nicely. Can I suggest turning the sharpness down a tad and it will help battle the reds a little. I have found also the black set at mid, gives a good result.

With footage like this around I cant wait to see a feature made on this cam. Im scheduled for March but hoping there is one sooner.

Chuck go shoot 30 minutes an hour or whatever of footage and speed up in post. Beautiful.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #26
New Boot

Thanks again for the comments everyone!

Rafeal - For the color correction, I brought the black down just a tad and added a hint of green on some shots. Otherwise, that's about it.

Chuck - Don't know about the timelapse yet, but the music was The First Time from Daneil Lanois. The day footage looks very nice, btw. I'll try to post some shots once I get a moment, but I was quite impressed from my testing so far.

Noel - Thanks for the tip!

I originally bought the A1 for wedding work, intending to use my HVX for creative material, and like many, I was debating over this and the V1, but I like the camera so much, I think I'll try to shoot some shorts with it to see how it holds up. Still curious to see how the V1 will compare, but I'm so happy with A1 overall that even if the V1 does turn out to be comparable, I can't imagine there would be any way I'd be unhappy with my choice.
Spencer Lum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #27
Regular Crew

24F vs progressive

Nice video, thanks.

How does everyone feel about the 24F vs true 24P? I shoot 25P with dvx100be, and the true 25P image (576 lines) upscales to hi-rez very well, much better than a 50i image. This 24F video shows the limitations of canon's approach, there are interlace artefacts on many fast moving objects.

I am disapointed with the lens on the dvx, but the progressive image has me hooked. Does the canon have a true progressive (720p or higher) image, or not? Does the HVX?

Regards
Christophe
Chris Suzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suzor
Nice video, thanks.

How does everyone feel about the 24F vs true 24P? I shoot 25P with dvx100be, and the true 25P image (576 lines) upscales to hi-rez very well, much better than a 50i image. This 24F video shows the limitations of canon's approach, there are interlace artefacts on many fast moving objects.
Sorry but are you kidding?
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
This 24F video shows the limitations of canon's approach, there are interlace artefacts on many fast moving objects.
I don't see this at all on his video or any others I've seen... ?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
<snip>This 24F video shows the limitations of canon's approach, there are interlace artefacts on many fast moving objects.
<snip>
Are you seeing this in the Quicktime downloads or the original M2T files? I've noticed a lot of QT files display interlacing lines, regardless of the original video type.
Philip Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders