DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   More night footage in NYC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/79711-more-night-footage-nyc.html)

Spencer Lum November 15th, 2006 03:03 PM

More night footage in NYC

Well, I'm sure everyone's seen enough of NYC and night shots by now, but for anyone interested in more, I thought I'd share. No gain at 1/48. F stop ranges from 2.8 - 3.4 depending on how much zoom I used. This has mild color correction.

http://www.iriscinema.com/cabs.mov

Dave Lammey November 15th, 2006 03:37 PM

Aw man, you had to do that, didn't you. Now I really miss the city.

That was nice, thanks for sharing. The upward wide shot of the Times Square signs, and that shot of the street in front of the cabs were amazing.

Also like your website. Are you planning to shoot weddings with this cam? How do you think it will handle the lowlight situations?

Can you share what your Quicktime compression settings were?

Thanks.

Blake Adam November 15th, 2006 03:44 PM

Well done sir. That has to be some of the best footage I have seen yet. Great job editing. Thanks much!

Bill Pryor November 15th, 2006 03:44 PM

Beautiful stuff. Still at 24F?

Spencer Lum November 15th, 2006 05:22 PM

Thanks all!

Dave - I am planning to shoot weddings with this, though I like it so much that I'm thinking to use it in some run and gun shots for short films. I'm quite happy with the low light capabilities, all things considered. I've found that it can comfortably go up to 6db and if need be 12db with noise reduction, and even with no gain, it is about comparable to my DVX - maybe just a slight bit off. I've been able to get by on the DVX with no gain for years now so I'm confident it will perform well in a wedding. I used the Quicktime H.264 setting at one notch from the highest quality (can't recall what that is right now).

Bill - Yep, it was in 24F.

John Gyovai November 15th, 2006 05:29 PM

Very nice. Compares to the DVX-100A maybe, but not my 100. The A1 looks like it will run circles around my first generation 100...

Thanks again,
John

Richard Adams November 15th, 2006 07:10 PM

This is great. Can you tell us what camera settings you used?

Bill Pryor November 15th, 2006 09:19 PM

Spencer, you should hit Canon up for a sales commission--your footage has been responsible for three people I know of deciding today to buying the A1.

Nick Weeks November 15th, 2006 09:31 PM

Bill, make that a fourth..... Of all the videos I have watched, this one, and the Ginza scene posted earlier by Noel are the two that made me feel this is the best camera for the money

Great footage from everyone, but these two caught my eye in particular

Benji Wade November 15th, 2006 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
Bill, make that a fourth..... Of all the videos I have watched, this one, and the Ginza scene posted earlier by Noel are the two that made me feel this is the best camera for the money

Great footage from everyone, but these two caught my eye in particular

Make that a 5th. Ordering tomorrow. End of story. Spencer, you shot this with factory lens, yes?

Raymond Toussaint November 15th, 2006 10:12 PM

Its nice indeed, also the A1 holds the movement good, but at 1 minute I see some ghosting, where the man crosses the street (white shirt, black bag on shoulder). Also that part ( 6 sec) seems weird, is it the GOP I-frame repeat or the shutter?

Steve Nunez November 15th, 2006 10:28 PM

Spencer- really nice job, the footage has a nice "look" to it.

Questions: Do you just setup a tripod on the street and shoot? Ever feel weird or embarrased (videotaping people you don't know) ever get strange reactions from passersby?

Thumbs up- it's a bit chilly out there!

Spencer Lum November 15th, 2006 11:21 PM

Say, yeah, what do I need to do to get on Canon's payroll? 5 cameras must be worth some sort of commission!

Richard - I used the default settings on CP1 except with noise reduction set on low, color gain set at +10 and green gain set at -1.

Benji - Yes, this was with the factory lens.

Raymond - I took some creative license with the two shots of the guy and the bag, as well as the very last shot in the piece, so while the first cut showing the bag is unaltered, I adjusted the speed and added a strobe effect to the ensuing two shots. However, since I forgot to turn off frame blending when doing so, there was the appearance of the ghosting.

Steve - I usually start off feeling quite strange then I get used to it as I get into the shooting. However I've come to realize that people in the NYC are so used to people walking around with video and still cameras that locals ignore you and tourists assume you're doing the same as they are. But basically, yes, I just plop a tripod down and start shooting.

Michael Padilla November 16th, 2006 02:03 AM

HEY SPENCER.. Michael Neuman here (VisualMasterpiece)..
its good to see you on the posts..
I saw your name and had to say hi.. I'm DL your video now..

Looks like we are all going to the A1's hu?
What ever will we do without a manual lens for the "Throw-zooms"!?
Hey have I shown you the vineyard wedding yet? Check it out:
http://www.visualmasterpiece.com/qui...rospective.mov
There is a lot inspiration from your work in this edit.

C ya around!

Graham Bernard November 16th, 2006 02:15 AM

Spencer, totally, totally beautiful footage.

Oh yes, this IS a "Black Beauty" and no mistake! I can see where you used the ZOOM ring, yes? Added another dimension to the urgency and directness - à la NYPD Blue - yeah?

It is obvious that you are very relaxed around this camera and THAT for me speaks reams too.

So what is WRONG with this camera? Huh??? Give me a reason?? - I bet the packaging was naff? Had to have been?