Watching HDV through Firewire? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 15th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #1
New Boot

Watching HDV through Firewire?

Is it possible to watch HDV through the hvd/dv input/output firewire port going from FCP into the A1 (firewire) and then from the A1 into a HDTV (component)?

I was unable to do it ... is there some sort of internal setting?

Thanks
Gabriel Cowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #2
Major Player

This could be a real problem for me. Does it work when previewing SD?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #3
New Boot

It does work when editing SD.
Gabriel Cowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #4
Wrangler

FCP doesn't support realtime HDV previews over firewire regardless of what camera you use. Not familiar with the new Canons, but I suspect you will be able to preview SD DV footage using it over firewire, or at least you can do this with all the Sony HDV cameras.

If you want to see previews of your footage as you edit HDV in FCP you will either need to buy an HD card (assuming you have a tower configuration computer) or you can use FCP's digital cinema desktop to send the preview to a second computer monitor. Unfortunately digital cinema desktop won't show previews at full quality, but it can be useful nonetheless.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Major Player

YEah, I hit this snag a while ago on my sony deck... I am actually buying two Nvidia cards, dual linking them (For double processing!) and then I have 4 (four) DVI out's so I can run my dual monitors and an HDTV for hd preview...
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
If you want to see previews of your footage as you edit HDV in FCP you will either need to buy an HD card (assuming you have a tower configuration computer) or you can use FCP's digital cinema desktop to send the preview to a second computer monitor.
With that being said, anyone know of any good HD preview cards that work well with Final Cut Pro and the A1 footage?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I use the Blackmagic decklink cards and have not had any problems. I have mine hooked up through a HDLINK to a calibrated Sony 60" KDS-60A2000. The picture looks fantastic with this setup. Realtime output with 3 way color correction. If you are just using HDMI output, their new Intensity series might be the way to go.
John Hamlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:40 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Is it possible to avoid buying one of the AJA cards with Vegas or Premiere Pro? In other words:

PC -> Firewire -> Canon A1 (or HV20) -> Component Out (or HDMI) -> HDTV

Or must one use one of the AJA cards to cut on an HDTV?
Ben Hayflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:55 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Look at Matrox..
That may be your answer.

http://www.matrox.com/video/products/mxo/home.cfm

Best of luck,

David
David McGiffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

David, thanks, but I'm on a PC. Assuming they make a product for Vegas/PPro, what advantage does it have above the Intensity or Intensity Pro card?
Ben Hayflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:05 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman View Post
YEah, I hit this snag a while ago on my sony deck... I am actually buying two Nvidia cards, dual linking them (For double processing!) and then I have 4 (four) DVI out's so I can run my dual monitors and an HDTV for hd preview...
When I was using Nvidia SLI on my PC a year ago it was not possible to use all 4 connections when in SLI mode. Hopefully some driver updates have fixed that but I no longer have SLI to find out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders