Sunrise Footage... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 17th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #1
New Boot

Sunrise Footage...

Hello All,

I figure since I have made my first jump into HD video with XHA1 it's time to come out of lurking. ; ) My name is Scott Audette and an editorial photographer. I primarily shoot major news events and pro sports, all still.

As many of you know the two fields of still photography and video are eventually going to collide. So, for the last year or so I have been reading these forums looking for the right camera to get my feet wet with. After nearly buying the Panny HVX I changed my mind and decided to wait.

I am already vested into 3TB of storage for photos and the thought of needing more for just video storage was enough to put me off, for now.

And boy am I glad I waited. I am just thrilled with this camera. From the level of adjustment to the picture quality.

So, here we are today. And in the interest of other still guys who may be considering the jump I thought it might be appropriate for me to post some of my footage online. It's not great but it's a start.

One note though, I have used FCP literally three times. So, I am learning on the fly. And I realize the cuts in the space shuttle stuff are way too quick. And one is a bad jump cut. But I had limited footage.

And for a for a few notes I am also trying to figure out the balance between shooting stills, my job, and video . Everything is hand held. The camera is in total manual, agc is off. But AWB is on. Except for the shuttle stuff which was set the Daylight WB preset.

One, final technical note is have NO IDEA what I am doing with compressor. So, the colors are murkier then in FCP and well who knows what else. So, ymv!

This should be a 720p video:

I shot this literally as the first shoot out of the box: (this is about a 40 meg download)

http://www.scottaudette.com/video/fountain720.mov

This is from the space shuttle rollout to the pad last week at sunrise, (see I got to the title eventually):

http://www.scottaudette.com/video/shuttle.mov

Of note: In the latter part of the video for the CU's I am about 350 yards away from the shuttle. Literally from the same spot the wide is shot. the zoom range is unreal.

And to see what may day job is...here are photos from the same roll out...

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/...&c=images&b=21

I look forward to participating in the forum.

Scott

Last edited by Scott Audette; November 17th, 2006 at 11:28 AM.
Scott Audette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Contributor

Welcome! the first link didn't work for me, but the second one did.
We're not having very good luck with Compressor; we do much better with Sorensen. For DVD, I set the DVD Studio Pro settings up and they work much better than the same settings in Compressor, which is weird.

I was hoping to see the shuttle blast off. Cool footage.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The video of the shuttle looks good.. some pretty fast cuts;) but you seem to be on the right way.
Perhaps you should check wha'ts up with the fountain video because I can't seem to be able do dowload it...
Anyawy...very nice stills!
Sergio Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #4
New Boot

Fixed the link

Bill,

I will be bringing out the XHA1 with me for launch so hopefully you'll get to see that soon! Part of my job for REUTERS every launch is to place the remote still cameras around the pad. So, this time I plan on documenting the process on video. We'll see how it all goes.

I just got a tripod and I'm wrangling up some wireless mics from a couple of TV bud's since this is a one man shoot.

I just fixed the first link. Thanks for checking things out.

Scott

Last edited by Scott Audette; November 17th, 2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #5
New Boot

Quick indeed

Sergio,

Very quick indeed. I should have just left them out. But this was an exercise in just learning the basics of FCP.So I left them in. Thanks for the kind words on the stills.

Scott

Last edited by Scott Audette; November 17th, 2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #6
Trustee

Beautiful beautiful colors! Can you believe the dof on this babe?! This camera is what I always dreamed of. It's simply torture to keep looking at new footage when the A1 won't be in Barcelona until the end of the month :-(
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
Beautiful beautiful colors! Can you believe the dof on this babe?! This camera is what I always dreamed of. It's simply torture to keep looking at new footage when the A1 won't be in Barcelona until the end of the month :-(
Rafael: when you comment about how great the depth of field is, what do you mean exactly? Why is it good?

How is it better or different than, say, the depth of field one could get with other cameras, (for instance, a Sony Z1)? Just curious.

Scott: thanks for posting this ... I downloaded both clips to my desktop, and the shuttle plays fine, but the fountain, for some reason, stutters and freezes on playback ...
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #8
New Boot

Fountain

Dave,

I'm not sure why it is stuttering. It plays fine on my mac. But I am going to try and re-export it tonight following my assignment.

thanks,
Scott
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #9
Major Player

The only reason DOF looks better is because the focal range is higher than a Z1 (although the maximum aperture at full zoom is also higher at 3.4). 1/3 chips will all attain the same DOF at the same focal range and aperture.

The H1 however, has the longest range out of the bunch.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Audette
Dave,

I'm not sure why it is stuttering. It plays fine on my mac. But I am going to try and re-export it tonight following my assignment.

thanks,
Scott
It's probably my PC, Scott. I'll try it on my Macbook Pro also.
Edit: scott, I just tried my macbook, it played fine. Looked great!!
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Rognan
The only reason DOF looks better is because the focal range is higher than a Z1 (although the maximum aperture at full zoom is also higher at 3.4). 1/3 chips will all attain the same DOF at the same focal range and aperture.

Thanks holly ... is the longer focal range a function of the lens that Canon is using?
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #12
Major Player

Welcome to the board Scott. Great first couple of posts! Nice photos and I liked the shuttle video (what nerd wouldn't??). The closeups were especially nice.

Keep it coming, and I'd LOVE to see a shuttle launch shot on the A1.

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #13
Major Player

Impressive, the quality IMO is comporable to what I see on discovery channel HD. Very impressive.
Old November 17th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Scott, thanks for posting. Good thing about a photography background is your already schooled on composition. Shuttle shots were nice, looking forward to seeing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Rognan

Yes and no as to why it looks better. The reason I like the look of a shallow DOF on this cam is the bokeh is natural and very film like IMO, one of the best I have seen out of the box.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #15
Regular Crew

The fountain also stutters pretty badly when playing back on my PC. I can usually watch anything in real-time.
Andrew Ott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders