is there a Sony Z1/V1-like lens hood that wiill work on my Canon A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 18th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

is there a Sony Z1/V1-like lens hood that wiill work on my Canon A1?

is there a Sony Z1/V1-like lens hood that wiill work on my Canon A1? (probably will involve drilling a little hole for the AF?)

Thanks!
Herbert Bolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #2
Contributor

What's wrong with the lens hood that came with it? It's about the same as Sony's. Unless you are looking at that picture of the V1 that has the mattebox attached.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Maybe he's looking for it because it has a built-in lens cap? It could work if both are the same thread size/bayonet system...
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #4
Contributor

Oh yeah, I forgot about that lens flap. That is kind of nice, actually. Both are bayonet mounts, aren't they? In a perfect world they'd be the same...but.... Is the Z1's lens 72mm? I know the V1 is smaller.
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yeah... the lens flap is exactly what interests me...

I've had my A1 for less than 24 hours. I've already lost the lens cap this morning. Dropped my grandsons at the airport this morning and tried out my A1 at the airport. When I came home, I realized I don't have the lens cap anymore... not in the bag, not in the truck... darn it... :(
Herbert Bolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

You can get a replacement from Canon parts & service for about $10 or so. To order, call 1-800-OK-CANON and drill through the menu until you get a live human being. Then you need to cultivate the habit of slipping the lens cap into your pants pocket.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Habit

Chris is right about the pocket, everytime I take the cap off I put it right into my pocket. Have done this since my XL1s days.
Eric Dyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #8
Contributor

I always put the lens cap in my left pocket and have been doing that for so many years it's automatic. The only time I ever lost one was inj the winter when I put it in my left coat pocket instead of pants pocket, and it took me awhile to figure that out.
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #9
Trustee

Put a strip of velcro underneath the lens shade out of sight and put the soft-side of the velcro on the inside of the lens cap. When you remove the lens cap- simply stick it to the underside...no more lost caps.
Old November 19th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #10
Major Player

Don't the Z1 and XH A1 have the same size thread? Might not a Z1 hood fit right on the A1? If it does, I would use it. Just a thought.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

The XH lens hood is not screwed onto the lens filter mounting threads. It attaches via the bayonet mounting lugs instead.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #12
Major Player

The Z1 lens hood is also on a bayonette type fitting - although I wouldn't imagine for a second that they're going to be similar enough to be interchangable...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders