Where do you see the price settling? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old November 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Chris- the UK works a bit differently to the US ... in the US you tend to see a MSRP that the retailers tend not to deviate from. Anyone suspiciously less than this baseline price is probably up to something. In the UK, it seems far more flexible .. there is usually a large spread across shops, with the highstreets and "authorized dealers" being notably expensive, while (reputable) internet dealers drive prices down as competition is tough online.

Cheapest I can see in the UK is Dabs.com, a highly respected computer dealer .. £2,348.82 including VAT. Far cheaper than the ~£2800ish price suggested previously in this thread ... And less than the £2700ish that places like creative-video (dedicated production gear shop) are charging. "Videogear" list £3k+VAT (!).

Some people might feel that being able to walk into a shop and try out the cams is worth a £352 (US$666.93) mark-up, but I certainly dont.

Chris- I know you have to look after your sponsors, but don't label all non-approved dealers as blackbox "guy in a garage" outfits because it simply isn't true. Dabs is a multimillion pound company and they'll be getting my money once it's in stock. I don't have £350 to waste on a conversation with a sales rep who knows less about cameras than I do :P

http://videogear.co.uk/index.php?act...&productId=133

If the videogear price is correct, that's a £1179.18 ($2234) mark-up over Dabs .. for the privilege of buying from a reputable production shop rather than a reputable internet shop.
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #17
Major Player

Argh.....save me from temptation!

Kris.....as that quaint old Scottish phrase goes......YA BAMPOT!

Dabs is indeed cheaper still, and, they also do interest free until August 2007. Hoots mon....ma sporran is aboot tae ignite man!

And Dabs are 1000% on the level. I've bought LOADS from them without issue.

Get thee behind me Santa!
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Dabs does not support this site. Production Gear does.

If all you're looking for is simply "the lowest price," then the entire Internet is at your disposal for searching out that sort of thing. Meanwhile, I place a very high value on the type of business that Production Gear is running; they are a first-rate outfit geared toward serious, on-going relationships with their customer base.

It's my firm policy here at DV Info Net to restrict all "where to buy" discussions exclusively within our site sponsor network. If you want to buy from a dealer that does not support DV Info Net, that is certainly your privilege to do so; for that purpose I recommend looking elsewhere on the web as non-sponsor dealers are beyond the scope of what I want for this site. Therefore the topic is closed. Thanks to all who pasrticipated,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders