DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Where do you see the price settling? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/80019-where-do-you-see-price-settling.html)

Alastair Brown November 20th, 2006 04:58 AM

Where do you see the price settling?

I can most likely hold off until after X-Mas before purchasing (probably an XH-A1). Does anybody have a best guess as to where the price will eventually settle? I'd imagine the FX1 start and now prices would give a reasonable indication.

Noel Evans November 20th, 2006 05:11 AM

If your looking for a price drop I feel comfortable in saying you will be waiting awhile. People are buying are the current mark so it dictates theres no need for a drop.

Chris Hurd November 20th, 2006 06:24 AM

Noel is right -- authorized dealers are going to hold it at MSRP for awhile yet. The good news is, it's worth that price.

Alex Leith November 20th, 2006 06:32 AM

I agree. I almost bought a Z1. But when I saw the XHA1 was (almost) available I decided to go for that instead. And I was very pleased that it was cheaper than the Z1.

I wouldn't expect it to go much below £2400GBP (ex VAT) any time in the near future.

Philip Williams November 20th, 2006 06:34 AM

The market for entry level pro cams with 24fps, XLR audio and 3 image sensors easily supports sustained volume sales at the 3-3.5K price point. I think this cam will settle right into the $3500 range and that'll be it. From there the camera will be updated with new features and/or design improvements.

Just my guess.

www.philipwilliams.com

Alastair Brown November 20th, 2006 06:58 AM

Hey Alex, you can already get it for £2354 inc vat in the UK.
Just look on pricerunner.
$3500 would be nice (£1850) which would place it just above the current lowest FX1 prices of $3300 (£1750) here in the UK.

I take it everyone is in agreement that the canon is more on a par with the Z1 than the FX1?

Philip Williams November 20th, 2006 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Brown
<snip>
I take it everyone is in agreement that the canon is more on a par with the Z1 than the FX1?

The FX1 was ground breaking and still shoots a nice 1080i video. But yeah, the XH A1 pretty much smokes it.

Chris Hurd November 20th, 2006 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Brown
£2354 inc vat in the UK. Just look on pricerunner.

No, you've got to be really careful of price-comparison sites such as that one and pricegrabber, because they include all of the bogus "below dealer cost" scam outfits. They're not about to actually sell an A1 to you for that kind of money... just try it and see. That's why we have site sponsors here at DV Info Net, who are fully authorized to sell, fully honest and reputable, and offer excellent customer service as well. See http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors -- in the UK, we strongly recommend Production Gear in Hertfordshire. Their contact info is found on our Sponsors page (see link). Hope this helps,

Alex Leith November 20th, 2006 08:32 AM

£2354 is mentally cheap... I would be a bit suspicious of anything that price as the (generally) cheapest UK dealer that I would consider reputable is listing for £2650.

Can I just echo the recommendation for Production Gear. I bought and hired stuff from them back when they were Optex and always found them very helpful and nice guys.

Jason Strongfield November 20th, 2006 08:48 AM

The cam is a BARGAIN even at $3999 but it should settle between $3599 - 3800 from authorized reputable dealers. Just waiting for a 24f Firestore solution.

Jason Strongfield November 20th, 2006 08:49 AM

oh wait, i think there is already a firestore solution that is made for the H1 :)

Alastair Brown November 20th, 2006 08:51 AM

Honestly £2354 is a genuine deal, and that includes delivery. Pricerunner is pretty much the biggest deal comparison site in the UK and they have reviews of all their suppliers and red flag anybody who doesn't play ball. The company quoting this have a rating of 4,7 out of 5 based on 362 submissions. There are actually another 4 quoting the same price.

I can only apologise for sniffing out deals. I'm Scottish and it's in our blood!

Alex Leith November 20th, 2006 08:58 AM

Heh! Heh! I know the deal hunting instinct... (with a surname like "Leith" you can guess where my family originated from).

Personally I'm still of the mind that I'd like to see the people I'm dealing with when parting with such a large chunk of cash.

I wonder if Production Gear do price matching?...

Chris Hurd November 20th, 2006 09:40 AM

You're asking a full-service facility with walk-in retail space, knowledgeable employees (meaning they're not paid minimum wage), service department, rental department, etc. to match prices with a one-man garage-operated internet box house? Not going to happen!

Alex Leith November 20th, 2006 10:03 AM

Point taken.

I guess I don't expect people to pay me the lowest rate going 'cause they're paying for my experience.

Likewise it seems fair to pay a "realistic" price in exchange for the expertise and support that the Production Gear guys provide.

Plus I don't think they've published their price for the A1 yet, anyway!