Choose XH A1 or GL2? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 26th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #16
Major Player

The gs400 and gs500 have a plethora of controls, just relegated to the menu.

I would serisously consider it. (Just because HD is around the corner, it shouldn't be the determining factor because distribution is still out of town for a while.)

If you have the funds, get the A1, it will not dissapoint. However I believe a smaller camcorder would work better for snowboarding than the gl's and dvx's for portability.

You shouldn't need a very long lens for this type of shooting, in fact you should be using a wide lens or fisheye.

My gs500 has nearly the same telephoto reach as my A1 because the A1 starts off so wide. So just because it says 20x doesn't really mean much.

By the way, if you are really desiring a long reach, the DVX only has a third of the reach of the gl2. In any case I find wide angles more useful that long.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #17
Trustee

Why not go for the Canon HV10 HDV camera?

It is very small, HD, and cheap. You will get some earth shattering SD video from this thing if you downscale in your NLE.

There are no mic jacks on the thing but then again I doubt you will be using mics on a snowboard anyways.

The HV10 isn't as good in low light but again this should not matter with snowboarding.

I think the camera is the cheapest HDV camera on the market right now and would actually be much cheaper then the GL2. In the future if you want a better HDV camera with better controls and audio features you can still keep the HV10 to use as a great HD B-roll camera or deck for your NLE.

This camera has an insane amount of quality for either HD or SD and will give you some cutting edge quality for at least a few years.

One other bonus is how good the infrared focus system is on the HV10. It uses an infrared sensor for almost instant focus which might be nice for fast showboarding scenes.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #18
New Boot

I did look at the HV10, the only trouble with that would be mobility, upright camcorders are really difficult to ride with (Holding).

Holly, The reason i need the long focal length, is for following riders down the mountain on a tripod.
Mike Aldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Mike,

I think the perfect compromise for your budget and picture quality would be the Sony FX1. You can get one right in between the $2200 GL2 and the $4000 A1 at around $3200. The FX1 takes great video. It has the handle you're looking for, but it is a little on the heavier side.

It may only have a 12x zoom, but if you're doing SD projects, you can crop and zoom your HDV 1080i clip in your PAL 525 timeline and not loose an ounce of resolution.

I know it may seem wise to hold off on buying HD now if the UK isn't fully embracing it yet at this point in time. But, in 2-5 years when that does happen and you have your HDTV, would you want to watch your old footage in HD? I made the plunge into HD, and I don't have an HDTV yet. All I know is that HD video looks great on my LCD computer monitor, and produces the best looking SD on my 4:3 CRT TV. Then, hopefully, next year when I get my 1080p HDTV, my videos will look even better!

I say if you're getting a camera, go HD and don't look back.
John M. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #20
Trustee

JVC HD1U is a steal at $1399 (B&H special)
It can do SD video progressively at 60FPS which is fantastic for sports, and if you're shooting snow-sports, light wouldn't be an issue (this cam likes light)....it would allow SD and HDV when you're ready! They also have a top handle for low angle shooting.....I had one awhile back and thought it was a good camera for the right user- and you just might be the ideal user for a camera like that.

(biggest gripes are aggressive edge enhancement <sharpening> and low light capapbility isn't as good as other cameras- of which those 2 issues may not be of concern to you)
Old November 26th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #21
Major Player

Mike, You will be zoomed in fully while riding?

Do you have shock absorbers on your snowboard, because full telephoto on the slopes might get the viewers a little sick.

A lock down telephoto on tripod would look great though.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 01:43 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Aldred
at the minute i don't need HD, but in the long run i'd like to know it was there, but the GL2 still does a brilliant job?? That's my predicament. I've never had a Prosumer camera, so i'd rather buy one that could last me a fair few years.
From what you've listed as your needs and what you'll do, it sounds like you would fine and happy with an fx7 or fx1, maybe even an hvr-a1u. Don't throw money away on features you'll never use.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #23
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Rognan
Mike, You will be zoomed in fully while riding?

Do you have shock absorbers on your snowboard, because full telephoto on the slopes might get the viewers a little sick.

A lock down telephoto on tripod would look great though.
No Holly. I mean't that when i do Follow cam, i'll use a Fisheye or Wide angle. But when i'm not riding i'll use a tripod to get in on the action up the slope. That would be horrible watching footage that shaky :-)
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. Graham
Mike,

I think the perfect compromise for your budget and picture quality would be the Sony FX1. You can get one right in between the $2200 GL2 and the $4000 A1 at around $3200. The FX1 takes great video. It has the handle you're looking for, but it is a little on the heavier side.

It may only have a 12x zoom, but if you're doing SD projects, you can crop and zoom your HDV 1080i clip in your PAL 525 timeline and not loose an ounce of resolution.

I know it may seem wise to hold off on buying HD now if the UK isn't fully embracing it yet at this point in time. But, in 2-5 years when that does happen and you have your HDTV, would you want to watch your old footage in HD? I made the plunge into HD, and I don't have an HDTV yet. All I know is that HD video looks great on my LCD computer monitor, and produces the best looking SD on my 4:3 CRT TV. Then, hopefully, next year when I get my 1080p HDTV, my videos will look even better!

I say if you're getting a camera, go HD and don't look back.

Hi John,

Someone i know has the camera, it's a very good camera. As you said it is heavy. I think at this time for just Snowboarding it's overkill, i would love a cam like that though.
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #25
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez
JVC HD1U is a steal at $1399 (B&H special)
It can do SD video progressively at 60FPS which is fantastic for sports, and if you're shooting snow-sports, light wouldn't be an issue (this cam likes light)....it would allow SD and HDV when you're ready! They also have a top handle for low angle shooting.....I had one awhile back and thought it was a good camera for the right user- and you just might be the ideal user for a camera like that.

(biggest gripes are aggressive edge enhancement <sharpening> and low light capapbility isn't as good as other cameras- of which those 2 issues may not be of concern to you)

I have looked for this camera in the UK. But i can't find it anywhere. which is why i'm kind of focusing on the GL2 to get me started.
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #26
Major Player

Well, how bout a used (unless you can find it new of course) Canon Optura 50 or 60 (not sure what the UK model is called). Superb day time footage, real 16:9, great colors, optical image stabilization. Honestly, except for low light shooting, I would prefer the Optura over the GL2. And they're way dirt cheap - $300-400 range in the US. That saves you money up front, and saves you money if you smash it up during a shoot.

Let me repeat, the video is outstanding. Don't let the low price fool you!
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #27
Major Player

Forget the budget. Get an A1. You'll be glad you did. Then get some serious work done and pay that baby off!
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Aldred
I have looked for this camera in the UK. But i can't find it anywhere. which is why i'm kind of focusing on the GL2 to get me started.
There was never a European version of that camera. It only comes as NTSC.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #29
New Boot

That solves that then. No wonder i couldn't find it :-)
Old November 27th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #30
New Boot

Can anyone give me any advice on the Panasonic GS500. I can't seem to find footage of it anywhere. All i'm interested in is what the O.I.S is like compared to the GL2, and the quality of the footage???
Mike Aldred is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders