Choose XH A1 or GL2? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 28th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #31
New Boot

"Just An Update"

I found footage from a GS500, nice colors and image quality, but not as good Image stabilization, which is one of my must have's on a camcorder.

Another turn of event's a mate of mine has just brought an XM1/GL1

I know, i probarbly should run a mile.... But he's a mate, he say's it's in prestine condition, no " Hot Pixels " he can see. I'm going to give a good test at the weekend...If it has a hot pixel(s) it should be noticable straight away, or can they appear over a duration of time, i know it could pack up a week later but it could also last a while.... and after having that faulty XM1 the quality and stabilizer really amazed me.

He want's £450 ($870 around that)

Does it sound like a good buy if it's clean and clear!!!!
Mike Aldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #32
Contributor

The GL1 is a bit old, but if it's in good condition that's not a bad price. There were two issues I heard a lot about with the GL1, and the dead pixel you already know about. The other is head alignment.

There were numerous incidents of head alignment issues that came up with both the GL1 and XL1, and the way a person discovered the problem was to try to play a tape on somebody else's deck or camera. If the GL1 recorded with its heads out of alignment, then it could play the tape, but no other deck could play it properly. The way to check that is to record something, then take the tape and see if it will play back on a different camera. If there's no dead pixel and no head alignment problem and the camera looks good, no lens scratches, etc., then it's probably a good deal for you.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #33
New Boot

I know it's old but i figure, it'll do me until i can afford the A1.... Plus it'll get me used to a camera in the Pro-Sumer market.

I didn't know about the Head Allignment issue, i'll take my cheapy JVC with me to test that out. Thanks.
Mike Aldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:42 AM   #34
Regular Crew

I actually have a pal GL2 and while it is a very good camera I would not advise to buy it to film snowboarding. I would think that you would get better quality at a lower price from a Sony HC1 (which I also have). The HC1 weakness is low light, but you should not have a problem with light when filming snowboarding.
Just my 2 cents...
Jerome Marot is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders