DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Image Stabilization questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/80519-image-stabilization-questions.html)

Richard Adams November 27th, 2006 11:56 PM

Image Stabilization questions

I've had the camera for a couple of days. So far it seems like an excellent piece of equipment. Fun to use, well designed and excellent image (although it is my first HD camera so I am not making any comparative judgments).

Does anyone know a way to quickly activate/deactivate image stabilization? This is important to me because I switch between hand held and tripod mounted fairly frequently. On a tripod the image stabilization tends to drift around so it is necessary to turn it off. As far as I can tell this can only be done throught the menu, is that correct?

Also for pans, is it recommended to have OIS off? I am guessing that it is.

Chris Hurd November 28th, 2006 12:03 AM

You'll want the OIS turned off any time the camera is mounted on a tripod.

Unfortunately there is no quick way to turn OIS on or off. We were just discussing this annoyance in another thread. Canon decided not to put a physical OIS on / off switch on the camera body, and neglected to map one of the Custom Keys to toggle OIS. So you're stuck with digging through the menu. Which is a shame, because it *easily* could have been a Custom Keys option.

Richard Adams November 28th, 2006 07:27 AM

Thanks for that info. That is a bummer. I actually didn't find any of the Custom Key options very useful so far. Having OIS on there would have been a big help for me.

Steve Nunez November 28th, 2006 07:56 AM

Richard, I feel your pain.....I too need a quick way to enable/disable OIS and find myself having to get into the menu to do so.......perhaps in a firmware update they may allow us to do this- who knows!

Doug Bennett November 28th, 2006 11:12 AM

Is there anyway Canon could provide such functionality with a firmware update? I also wish that the custom preset (on the H1) that toggles zebras on and off could also toggle between say 70 and 95.

Bill Pryor November 28th, 2006 11:21 AM

Maybe if we all yell loud enough we can get that custom key for the stabilizer. Chris--how about we come up with a petition of sorts from all A1 owners on here, and potential purchasers, and maybe you can figure out a way to get it to Canon? Hell, I'd be willing to pay 50 bucks if they'd send me an SD card with this upgrade. (Don't have to put that in the petition.)

Bogdan Tyburczy November 28th, 2006 11:43 AM

I support Bill's idea and I'd gladly add another $100 for LCD/EVF flip.

Is such petition realistic? Will they listen?

Bill Pryor November 28th, 2006 12:23 PM

Let's don't throw money at them--50 bucks for all the upgrades we're talking about; that includes the SD card, which would be an incentive to send us the cards rather than wanting us to send in the cameras. Seems to me the monitor flip would be easy, since it already flips when you turn it over--just undo that flip function so it goes upside down, and then you have that option for using a Redrock.

Bogdan Tyburczy November 28th, 2006 02:35 PM

OIS control under Custom Keys definitely sounds like possible firmware update, but I'm afraid LCD flip in A1/G1 is hardware-controlled. However, I feel image flip functionality is built in Digic II HD processor. We all know it's in XL-H1, though very limited.

Upgrade via SD card would be the best, but I'd be happy even if they required sending cameras in.

Adam Reuter December 1st, 2006 04:23 PM

Petition Online

Maybe a "firmware request" petition for all stuff that could be easily changed via software.

To start the list:

- Allow OIS on/off setting assignable to custom key.

- Allow users to disable the color bars switch while recording

- LCD Image flip (for 35mm adapters)

- Zebra setting toggle (between IRE settings, not just on/off)