New Marshall monitor for A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 29th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New Marshall monitor for A1

Yes Ive fallen over to the side of the more portable Marshall LCDs, Im currently using a Sony Brick that really isnt very portable, especially when getting around Tokyo. And not much good for shooting outside a studio or set location.

Anyway, a little help quickly if possible.

Is this what I am lookimg for? Has the BNC composite connectors

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...e=search<br />
Then theres this one, but has the split Y, Pb, Pr component connection as well as the composite. Interestingly this monitor has the same resolution but is called HD.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

What am I missing if I go the cheaper option? Its for the following in the field: composition/focus/color rendition.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm 99% certain you need the second one (the $1300+ one).

From the Features description:
"The 3-BNC Component Video input will decode both standard definition and HD signals"

The cheaper model does not appear to support the ingest and scaling of HD signals.
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Phillip, should have done so from the start but checking in the manual I need the component Y, Pb, Pr connections. Cheers for the info,
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #4
Major Player

If you go to a monitor just through BNC you will find the image is far too soft to focus... the downres to SD over BNC is terrible.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #5
Trustee

I'm getting the $1300 HDA model. I've heard mixed results for focus, but more good than bad. From everything I've read, the Marshall V-R70P-HDA is the only on camera solution out there for less than $3000.

Varizoom has a similiar competing model that uses camcorder batteries (you can pick).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

However, I've heard it's not as robust/feature laden as the marshall. Nebtek sells custom battery plates allow you to modify and use camcorder batteries with the Marshall.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=459647&is=REG

If it doesn't work then I return it and try something else. However, that something else will be larger and cost over $3000.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Interesting... the varizoom uses canon batteries
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #7
Trustee

BH site says composite BNC, Varizoom also says composite, but picture shows it has component input as well. I'd call them first to make certain before ordering, and again, I've heard it's not as good as the Marshall for tact sharp focus. I'm spending the extra $300 and getting the Nebtek battery plate conversion as well.

http://www.varizoom.com/products/mon...BC_BJ_BSM.html
Old November 29th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #8
Major Player

I'm not seeing anything in the Varizoom description about HD. All the info and reviews I've read for the Marshall indicate that it has high-quality scaling for the incoming HD signal which allows it to be used effectively for HD focusing.

I guess an SD rez 8" monitor would be helpful; probably allows you to see peaking better by virtue of the size. But for over 1K, that doesn't exactly sound like a bargain.
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #9
Trustee

Now it say's HD inputs via component connections. Hmmm, maybe they read my post and changed it?

The number 1080 in part number would suggest HD. I've also read a single post from the redrock M2 forum that the varizoom focus is comparable to Marshall, but also conflicting elsewhere, and that it was not as robust as the Marshall.

I did send a message to varizoom inquiring about this weeks ago, and have not heard back from them.

All evidence suggests that the Marshall HDA is best bet.
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I got my V-R70P HDA from ZGC, I told them which battery type (Sony/Canon...) I wanted to use, and they shipped it with the appropriate Nebtek adapter already attached. It has S-Video, as well as 3 BNC component in & out for HD, and one BNC composite in & out connection. I use it with my FX-1, and I have found the monitor to be quite useful as long as it is calibrated properly (duh).
Old November 30th, 2006, 03:00 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the well thought out input. Im shooting a doco from Sunday, so hitting up my local dealer for all things Video/Broadcast/Eng Saturday for an eyeball and some comparisons. I really want to see the comparisons side by side with a CRT to measure the LCD quality, of different LCDs of course. Then in the end I will end up with something LCD anyway... nothing compares to the portability that Ill need from the A1. Hopefully I can talk them into a real world test on Sunday of my chosen model.
Old November 30th, 2006, 06:06 AM   #12
Major Player

Please keep us updated and let us know how the equipment works with your XH A1!
Philip Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders