"Moire Patterning" Canon XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 3rd, 2006, 07:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

"Moire Patterning" Canon XH A1

I shot some footage last night of some performers, most low light. Some footage (if it's still called that... maybe "mm's" now) was shot in quite bright light. What I noticed this morning on play back is on a 26 inch Sony HDV tv from the componet outs of the camera, is that there is some "moire patterning" happening around the details. For example, there is a shot of a leafless tree against the sky and a couch in a nother shot with a line pattern in it's print. The tree and couch in both shots are sort of shimmering...not good! Any ideas of what is going on?
John Huling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:25 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hard to know without seeing the footage, but it could either just be too much fine detail, vertical detail set too high, or sharpening set too high, or could even be display-specific...? Can you either link to a short m2t or failing that post a few successive frame grabs at full-rez?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:01 AM   #3
Trustee

I sometimes see a minor moire patterning on certain clips when viewing on a 26" HD CRT. I believe it is a 1280x720 screen.

The same footage on my 45" Aquos LCD panel that is 1920x1080 native looks flawless. I'm not saying for sure that is your dispaly but it is a possibility as Pete mentioned already.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't have any clips I can post as of yet. Perhaps this evening. Should'nt the image look "right" on all screens as long as they are HD. Even when I made a DVD converted to SD. It does the same thing. Oversharpening is what it looks like though. Same thing I have seen with my Canon Still. Maybe A1 default settings are over sharpened...I will check the settings.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I agree with Marty. It seems like it's caused by the monitor. Import the scene to your computer and check if the problem is still visible in 100% scale.
On native 1920x1080 screen it should be fine.
Bogdan Tyburczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Is this why Sony new HDTV's with 1920 X 1080 resolution? I am just using my Sony Vaio laptop to edit a few things right now with Vegas 7
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

When scaling down, some monitors and TV's may exhibit problems like that. After few years of profit making with sub-standard HD TVs and monitors, technology and marketing has opened the door to affordable native 1080p. Good for new customers, but people who spent a lot of money on 1080i or someting in between 1080 and 720p may be a little bit angry. The show goes on.
Bogdan Tyburczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Pete
I will take it back to BestBuy and get the XBR 1080 X 1920 Version
Old December 3rd, 2006, 04:15 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Sharpening on TV not A1 Camera was culprit

Sharpening on the TV was the cause of the moire. Do most people turn off the sharpening on the Canon A1? It seems to over sharpen a bit...
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:08 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Huling
Do most people turn off the sharpening on the Canon A1?
Sharpening isn't something you can "turn off" on the XH camcorders. You can turn it up or down though, using the Custom Preset function. Sharpness control ranges from -9 steps (softer) to +9 steps (sharper) than the default out-of-the-box look.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 06:00 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Huling
Thanks Pete
I will take it back to BestBuy and get the XBR 1080 X 1920 Version
I found the XBR's glass surround distracting but the enhanced SD upconversion might be handy.

The basic KDL46V251L1's (same as KDL46V2500 at BB) lasted at Costco for a few hours at $3249. Costco bumps Sony's standard one year parts, 90 day labor to 18 month inclusive.
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 06:45 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris
I meant turn down. I found the control on the camera. The Sony HDTV goes from 0-30 or something like that. It defaulted at 18. I turned it down to 12 and the patterning moire went away. I just wondered since I don't seem to see the moire on Standard broadcast if setting the A1's sharpening down might be more consistant with broadcast standard. Canon's DIIs and 5D still cameras have sharpening settings that are fully adjustable from 0 to 5 or more in some cases. Generally one wants to wait to do sharpening to the very last. Does that apply to video?
John Huling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders