Automatic White Balance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Automatic White Balance

Does anyone know when the automatic white balance can be expected to work well and when not. I have noticed in my short experience with the camera that the automatic white balance seems pretty much spot on. Any opinions?
Richard Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:41 AM   #2
Trustee

It seems to work well in outdoor light, even in shade but Canon's reputation for AWB on DSLR cameras is just average, so trust but verify to cop a cliche. Also seems to work well indoors with tungsten/incandescent lighting, and seems to do well with fluorescent, pretty good overall performance by me.

It gets a little confused in mixed industrial lighting, where you move from fluorescent, sodium vapor lamps, halogen but overall better than I was expecting, and better outdoors than the Z1U which had a tendency to go blue in the outdoor shadows occasionally.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams
Does anyone know when the automatic white balance can be expected to work well and when not. I have noticed in my short experience with the camera that the automatic white balance seems pretty much spot on. Any opinions?
The AWB is pretty accurate out doors in daylight and quite close to good in mixed lighting. But I would'nt use it unless I had to. Shooting in rapidly changing lighting scenarios, indoor to outdoors, etc" for example. It's fairly easy to do a manual WB. Just zoom in on something white nearby in your frame, clothing, articles, walls, cars, etc" and press that little WB button. Always carry a little white card / piece of white paper for backup. Takes about 10 sec and buys you peace of mind.
Jay Yellamaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

For the industry standard in bounce cards, check out the DSC Labs Cam White:

http://www.dsclabs.com/white'nwarm.htm

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders