A1 Pal Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 5th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #1
Trustee

A1 Pal Footage

Alrighty, fellas. Here we go. The footage was all shot hand held (there's some shaky shots out there) using 25F. I can't remember the settings I used. I was so excited that I didn't really write anything down. I was changing the settings as I shot. I know that I messed around with Knee, Gamma, Black Stretch and all the other stuff. The shutter was usually at 50. Most times I had a ND filter on.

I'm REALLY happy with the camera, but I still have to play with a lot to get the full extent of it's capacity.

http://rapidshare.com/files/6197632/...a_A1.divx.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/6208482/...a_A1.divx.html

Last edited by Rafael Lopes; December 5th, 2006 at 12:28 PM.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Rafael, the divx did not play on my PC in Media Player or Real Player. Music played but the picture did not move at all. Just a single frame of a pigeon in a tree. Any idea what I need to do to play it?
Richard Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #3
Trustee

I'm using media player classic. It's free and it plays everything.
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Richard, please download the free Divx player, it would play the file.

Rafael, the video tend to look a bit dark, but the DOF look very nice. I wonder you may try to take few shot without ND Filter just to see how DOF look under 1/50 shutter look.

And if possible, take a shot continuesly from outdoor walk into a house (i guess have to be in auto mode then bcs you can't change white balance on the fly).

many thanks again, it is funny you are caught by a strange girl at the last sense, how did it end up then ? :-).
Ing Poh Hii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #5
Trustee

I added a second link to the footage that should work. The first one was not working.
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #6
Trustee

Ho, forgot to mention the footage was not CC.
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #7
Major Player

You were busted on that last shot! Thanks for sharing, would love to see more shots of that church that weren't backlit ... some of the shots looked unbelievably filmic -- the guy taking photos, the guy on the bench, the long shot down the sidewalk of people walking ... though the video tended to jump around a lot, were you hitting the start/stop button a lot?

I love the international dimension of this website, I feel like I've been traveling around the globe even though I've been sitting at my computer all day ...
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #8
Major Player

This thing take beautiful images! That's from 2 hours with it no cc? Rafael Canon needs to send you some commision money because you just sold an A1.

And I need to know what song that is!
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #9
Trustee

To make a long story short, I got the camera today and took it to the street right away. I spent the last year using an FX1 and I can confidently say that the A1 makes the FX1 look like a toy camera with all the image control options it has. I'm sure what I did today is nothing compared to what really can be done once one master the A1's total potential. So far I'm extremely happy with my purchase and I just know it's the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Thank you Canon!

I'm going to try to make some controlled tests tomorrow. Oh, and I should be receiving the letus35A briefly, so you guys can expect some 35mm tests too.
Old December 5th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #10
Major Player

Hey rafa, cool you got it, man, great footage!
So everything worked out with the store? Nothing missing etc. ;P

Cheers, Steven
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #11
Trustee

Steven, thank God everything worked out perfectly. I gotta tell I was kind of iffy about the whole thing. I found it very strange that it would be so much cheaper than everywhere else I checked in Spain. But apparently these guys have been around for like 20 years and nobody ever had a problem.
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:40 AM   #12
Trustee

Somebody here asked for some insights on the A1 compared to the FX1, so I'm going to be a bit more specific.

I think the A1 handles not only the hightlights but everything better than the FX1. I used the Fx1 for one year and I always found it's "right out of box" footage too TV like. You really had to work on it to get film like footage...which means that if you have to do some unplanned shooting under uncontrolled circumstances you are in for a world of pain. But with the A1 it's natural footage feels much more film like no matter what. I didn't have anything to complain when I was using the FX1's CF25, but after using the A1's 25F I feel that 25F was a joke.

I'm still getting used to having 3 wheels to control zoom, focus and iris. It's an amazing feature. The 3 wheels are very very sensitive and allow you more detailed control than the FX1. I have to start looking around for more filmic presets though. Yesterday I created my own right out of the blue and even though it didn't look bad I HAVE to know what does what to get the best possible results.

1 thing that I REALLY miss from the FX1 is it's AMAZING LCD. That thing was huge and very good.

Today is raining, so I'll probably do some indoors shooting. With a little bit of luck my Letus35A might arrive today and I will be able to throw in my 35mm footage.

Just to finish my FX1 vs A1 opinion I must say that one of the best things about the A1 is the way how colors smoothly change between different degrees and stages before becoming a different colors...while on the FX1 I always felt the transition was much more abrupt.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Old December 6th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thank you Rafael for your review, my friend shall be very happy to know the different.

And for me, still waiting for it availibility at Malaysia : )..

Many thanks.
Ing Poh Hii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #14
Major Player

Rafael, could you please upload a (short) take of your original footage as .m2t file? Thanks, Michael Mann
Michael Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #15
Major Player

Sorry for the language before Chris, it won't happen again.

and lol Michael Mann want's footage, well mike if you ever come work in america you might need a stage name...
Evan C. King is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders