Custom Presets Download Library Feedback - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 10th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #61
Regular Crew

problem downloading presets

At the risk of being a total pain, I've got to try again.

I can't seem to download these presets - am obviously doing something wrong - and am hoping for some help.

If I click on them they download an empty document. If I drag and drop them into a PRESET folder on the SD or if I right-click on them and save them to the desktop, they take me to a sign in page on this site, and when I sign in I get a message that no such page exists.

Apologies for being thick, but any help would be most appreciated. Am very eager to take advantage of - and hopefully add to - all the fantastic work that has already been accomplished with these presets.
Larry Kamerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #62
Obstreperous Rex

If you're using a PC, then right-click and choose "save target as..."

If you're using a Mac, do whatever is the equivalent of right-clicking. (Control-click? I'm not sure.)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris. Finally figured out where I was being bone-headed.
Larry Kamerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #64
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Jay Stebbins sent me an email suggesting a link to this Canon USA Guide to Custom Presets:

http://downloads.canon.com/cpr/softw...Presets_v2.pdf

It's intended for the XL H1 and we've passed this around in our H1 forum before. I just had not thought of posting it here as well, so thanks to Jay for the tip.
I tried to access the above link but got denied because I "do not have permission to access". Is there another link for the Canon USA guide to custom presets.
Michael Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #65
Regular Crew

right click and download.... don't try to go to the page
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #66
Regular Crew

A Newbie Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kamerman
If I drag and drop them into a PRESET folder on the SD or if I right-click on them and save them to the desktop.
I just got my camera yesterday and had some trouble loading them into the camera at first. If you have some problems it might be a good idea to...

First put the card into the camera and save one of the camera's presets onto the card. This creates your PRESETS folder (which I believe is case sensitive) and you know your camera will recognize it.

Second, just pop the SD card into your computer and save all the presets directly to the PRESETS folder that the camera had created.

Third, pop that bad boy right back into your camera, and load in the ones you'll be using the most.

Hope this helps those just entering the A1 world
Brian Spatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Hello,

I was wondering if there's a way to make the presets name appear on the display when shooting. Cause I can't remember if setting what all those settings are when just looking at numbers.
Jeremy Naus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #68
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Jeremy, unfortunately that's not an option. You'll have to carry around a small note card as a "cheat sheet" to tell you which is which.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #69
Tourist

Can't get access to the xh a1 custom preset page

Can you please tell me why as a registered user of this forum I can't gain access to the page with custom presets for the xh a1 referenced in this thread? thanks, love it here!
Ray Ortega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #70
Regular Crew

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...rary-copy.html
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:11 AM   #71
Major Player

XH A1 Custom Presets Test Images

Hey guys

Here are my results of testing out all the different presets from:

I tried to maintain consistent exposure with the zebra stripes but was in a bit of a rush so the exposure may not be quite right on some images.

Can't get my image to display in the post, anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3147/...bf42506a_b.jpg

PRESET01.CPF "FACTORY" is simply the Canon factory default settings.
PRESET02.CPF "AC PREF1" is Alister Chapman's prefered general setup.
PRESET03.CPF "AVG FILM" is designed to emulate an average film stock, best used with 24F / 25F.
PRESET04.CPF "5248FILM" is supposed to emulate Kodak 5248 film stock, best used with 24F / 25F.
PRESET05.CPF "LOWLT12" is for shooting in low light with 12db gain.
PRESET06.CPF "OPTICONT" is for optimum latitude, similar to AC PREF1.
PRESET07.CPF "5296FILM" should be like Kodak 5296 film stock, best used with 24F / 25F.
PRESET08.CPF "TERRA1" is a soft unsharpened image, shadows retain detail without looking washed out.
PRESET09.CPF "TERRA2" is like TERRA1 but sharper, with coring turned down to keep noise levels at bay.
PRESET10.CPF "DISJECTA" most resembles the colors Steven Dempsey used with his Panasonic DVX100.
PRESET11.CPF "B&WJECTA" is B&W with detail in darks without blowing out lights, no diagonal stair-stepping.
PRESET12.CPF "NOMAGENT" negates the Magenta bias that some Canon owners detect in factory settings.
PRESET13.CPF "OUTSIDEN" gives the Canon a neutral image outdoors while managing bright whites.
PRESET14.CPF "OLEGWARM" is warm and saturated and film-like when combined with Skin Detail: Middle.
PRESET15.CPF "DVXMATCH" closely matches the Panasonic DVX100 at WB of 3200K; also try Knee: Auto.
PRESET16.CPF "EOSPHOTO" is optimized for Canon EOS photo lenses; much brighter with more contrast.
PRESET17.CPF "NATURALO" closely resembles natural outdoor colors, requiring minimum correction.
PRESET18.CPF "PANALOOK" is Steven Dempsey's preffered setting which accurately emulates the DVX100.
Stuart Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #72
New Boot

Thanks Stuart

Gracias Stuart Graham por los presets hace un buen tiempo que intento accesar a la primer pagina de los custom present y aun no e podido acceder.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=81071

GrACIAS Stuart
Eduardo Gomez
Eduardo Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #73
Major Player

Not sure what you said Eduardo but glad to be of help.

To my semi-trained eyes presets 6, 7 and 16 (opticont, 5296 film and EOSphoto) look best and to my eye I can't percieve much difference between these three. Anyone agree/disagree?

Has anyone used any of these presets to make a film? If so were you pleased with the results?

I'm thinking of using Alastair Chapman's 5296 preset for my next film.

Last edited by Stuart Graham; May 6th, 2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: addition of more questions, mwahahahaha
Stuart Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #74
Major Player

"Thank you Stuart Graham for the presets is nice that tried accesar to firstly page of the custom preset and even not and been possible gain access"
from google
Bill
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #75
Major Player

XH A1 Preset Tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Graham View Post
Hey guys

Here are my results of testing out all the different presets from:

I tried to maintain consistent exposure with the zebra stripes but was in a bit of a rush so the exposure may not be quite right on some images.

Can't get my image to display in the post, anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3147/...bf42506a_b.jpg

PRESET01.CPF "FACTORY" is simply the Canon factory default settings.
PRESET02.CPF "AC PREF1" is Alister Chapman's prefered general setup.
PRESET03.CPF "AVG FILM" is designed to emulate an average film stock, best used with 24F / 25F.
PRESET04.CPF "5248FILM" is supposed to emulate Kodak 5248 film stock, best used with 24F / 25F.
PRESET05.CPF "LOWLT12" is for shooting in low light with 12db gain.
PRESET06.CPF "OPTICONT" is for optimum latitude, similar to AC PREF1.
PRESET07.CPF "5296FILM" should be like Kodak 5296 film stock, best used with 24F / 25F.
PRESET08.CPF "TERRA1" is a soft unsharpened image, shadows retain detail without looking washed out.
PRESET09.CPF "TERRA2" is like TERRA1 but sharper, with coring turned down to keep noise levels at bay.
PRESET10.CPF "DISJECTA" most resembles the colors Steven Dempsey used with his Panasonic DVX100.
PRESET11.CPF "B&WJECTA" is B&W with detail in darks without blowing out lights, no diagonal stair-stepping.
PRESET12.CPF "NOMAGENT" negates the Magenta bias that some Canon owners detect in factory settings.
PRESET13.CPF "OUTSIDEN" gives the Canon a neutral image outdoors while managing bright whites.
PRESET14.CPF "OLEGWARM" is warm and saturated and film-like when combined with Skin Detail: Middle.
PRESET15.CPF "DVXMATCH" closely matches the Panasonic DVX100 at WB of 3200K; also try Knee: Auto.
PRESET16.CPF "EOSPHOTO" is optimized for Canon EOS photo lenses; much brighter with more contrast.
PRESET17.CPF "NATURALO" closely resembles natural outdoor colors, requiring minimum correction.
PRESET18.CPF "PANALOOK" is Steven Dempsey's preffered setting which accurately emulates the DVX100.
I've worked out how to put images in posts at last!
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Presets Download Library Feedback-xh-a1-tests.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders