Canon XH series -- various sample clips - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 11th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #211
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks for your reply...Uhmmm I cant really tell you what setting I had But...i CAN TELL YOU I used 2 lights about 500 watts the Photography type with umbrellas (ooops) and I used the Low light preset I found here on this site with the Aperture wide open and Manual focus in Av Mode...

Miguel
Miguel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #212
Major Player

the weights are all different sizes so the number isn`t important...its the fact they are about equal to the camera weight. Honestly this was a long time ago so I don`t quite remember. Same answer for the music heh, it was just something I threw together for those looking for sample footage.
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #213
Major Player

Picture taking power of the A1

I took this picture totally at a whim with the actor the last day we were filming. I wanted to test out the A1's picture taking, and loved how it came out. I thought it sucked when I took it, looked all dark and washed out on the viewfinder....almost erased it. But I forgot to and when I got home found it on the card....I love the detail and the light and shadow, captured beautifully. I used VIVIDRGB version 3 i think with black to press maybe? I forget exactly...but yea, my favorite picture so far

http://www.kiukle.com/temp/zarrius_woods.jpg

After looking again and realizing the pic was taken in jpg format, I was curious...can the camera take a higher quality picture? At %100 you can see artifacts from the jpg compression and I`d think they`d do better with such a nice camera

Last edited by Nathan Quattrini; October 19th, 2007 at 08:13 AM.
Nathan Quattrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #214
Major Player

I've been deleting pix for that reason too. They look horrible when you take them in the cam. This is good to know.

For a video camera, that pic is pretty damn nice. For a production still on a website or a thumbnail on a cover, it’s totally useable.

If you do use it, you may want to brush out those waterfront condos.
They aren't vibing too well with the ye olde barbarian swordsman..unless of course your project is entitled "Barbarian Timeshare"...which would be awesome. The possibilities are endless.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:19 AM   #215
Major Player

My first short

Hi

I've been lurking around this forum for a long period before I sold my Panasonic DVC30, saved money and bought a Canon XH-A1 two weeks ago. The DVC30 was a really good camcorder and as an entry level prosumer cam it has helped me a lot to understand all parameters possible to tweak on the XH-A1. When blowing up the DVC30:s picture on a 42" plasma, it was no discussion, the DVC was not made for big screens. After experimenting with the XH-A1 for two weeks, I must say that the 'upgrade' was worth the price. The picture from the camera is absolutely outstanding with details picked up at an incredible level. The limitations on the DV format regarding details is history.

I've made a short film with clips from my first day with the cam. Learning the cam will probably result in better clips. The video is a divx file, 1280x720, 1080/50i deinterlaced for divx. As custom preset i used Steven Dempseys VIVIDRGB. I really am a fan of that man, his knowledge and his films, and I also understand the effort of creating this preset. It really makes colours pop out.

A link to the film:

https://lagring.storegate.se/user/sh...6-1c8726b99382

Kind regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 05:35 AM   #216
New Boot

Wow, beautiful!
Makes me want to go out and shoot something with my A1.

I guess the vividrgb is just right for this sort of thing. I will try it out next chance I get.

The HDV codec is really getting overwhelmed by all the little details in these shots, especially the water. But I always tell myself, that 95% of the "normal" people out there donīt really recognize that. You can not beat the A1īs image quality at that price!

I also find it interesting how forgiving 720p televisions are in comparison to 1080p displays. What looks compressed on my 24" 1080p monitor looks great on my brotherīs 32" HD-TV. :)

Any way, thanks, I didnīt expect such a nice film when I downloaded it.
Roland Oeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #217
New Boot

That was nice, thank you for the chance to view your work.
Ernest Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #218
Major Player

That was shot really well!

I believe that is the best DIVX encode I've ever seen...
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #219
Regular Crew

Should I save in Quicktime or WMV

Hi guy's. Sorry I've got nothing to view as far as footage is concerned, but I'd like to know what the best format is for saving vids, Quicktime or WMV. Whats the pro's and cons.

Thanks,

Mark.
Mark Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #220
Major Player

"Saving" them for what?

Archive, online, broadcast, DVD, home use on HDTV?
Old October 28th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #221
Regular Crew

Saving them for Archive and the internet.

I notice a lot of the footage on this forum is in Quicktime. Is there a reason for this over WMV.

Mark
Mark Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #222
Major Player

to archive i would save them as m2t or cineform avi to disc or hd storage.
for online, i like 720p wmv.
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:47 AM   #223
Major Player

Concert footage indoors-low light-blown highlights.

As a last minute decision, I recorded a concert at our church this past weekend.

The conditions were: dark sanctuary, well lit stage(front of sanctuary). No movement of folks on stage singing into mikes and not much contrast. I'm new to the A-1(couple of weeks now) and since this was a last minute decision to record, I didn't do any research on shooting in these conditions ahead of time.

My camera setting: auto, vividRGB preset, auto white balance...everything pretty much auto.

For those of you who shot in these conditions, as you might expect, my results were severely blown highlights. This was my first experience shooting in these conditions.

Since this weekend, I have read everything I could find on this forum and in magazines about filming in such conditions....tricky at best I understand.

After wading through the information, here's what I'm coming up with pertenent to the A-1 and dark room, well lit stage. I'm trying to simplify as best I can here.

1. Full manual

2. Ride the iris

3. No presets

4. No gain

5. Use contrast boost to help focus.

6. White balance - tungsten.

Does this look right for a starting point for a set up in these conditions?

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks.

Rog Lee

oops, I meant for this to be in the normal threads. Sorry.
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 10:46 AM   #224
Major Player

I haven't used the VividRGB preset much, haven't really cared for it myself.

I would recommend utilizing a preset which consists of low knees and stretched blacks. Depending on what you want, you might also consider going to one of the gamma levels (I use Gamma2) as it lowers the contrast between brights and darks. Maybe play with the master pedestal and setup levels, too.

The result I'm suggesting will come in very low contrast, but you will then have both muted highlights and detailed shadows, and in post you can tweak the picture to the level of contrast you need.

EDIT:
The reason I'm suggesting this is due to the fact that event shooting is very unpredictable -- for narrative or interview type work you are in charge of what's happening, thus you have control of lighting and can afford to crunch the blacks you don't need and push the contrast exactly where you want it. But in an environment where the video serves the action, my opinion is that you need to be as accommodating as possible and capture as much visual information as you can. Then, in post, crunch and tweak until you get the right contrast that doesn't blow any highlights and doesn't lose any needed shadow information.

Also, to avoid excessive blowouts, I would recommend using zebras between 85-100 -- these are basically indicators in the form of black and white lines (they won't record onto your footage) that show what is overexposed according to the current percentage. I personally shoot with zebras at 100 at all times as I detest blowouts. A little bit of zebra is okay at 100 (in fact you'll most likely want to see a bit, otherwise the image will be underexposed, which is also nasty).

As far as manual vs. auto, the more you can keep manual the better, especially when it comes to gain.

My two cents. :)
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:28 AM   #225
Major Player

Brandon,

Thanks for the help. It's appreciated.

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders