Canon XH series -- various sample clips - Page 34 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 31st, 2008, 08:17 AM   #496
Major Player

XHA1 & RNG35 Adapter First Day

I've done my first test with the A1 and the RNG35 a lake near my place. Really love the different look that the adapter gives. Any C&C welcome

http://www.vimeo.com/1096145
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:09 AM   #497
Major Player

Hi Peter,

Some really nice images there. Liked the focus in/outs, and slight cam moves, except the end shot of the tall grass, then suddenly panning left seemed to not flow with the rest of the piece. Good job nonetheless.

How is it working with the RNG35? You said it wasn't as easy as with the HV20. Did you have to use a step up/down ring? Have you ever used other 35mm adapters?

Best,
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:31 PM   #498
Major Player

Cheers for the comments, the last shot I was going for that end of the film roll look but not sure if it works.

The adapter is 72mm thread so no need for step down/up ring. but just the bulkiness of the adapter and the cam makes a bit more cumbersome but thats something I have to get used to. It is my first time with an adapter as well so I can't compare with other adapters either. If I had the budget I would have bought the cinavete brevis. For the budget user the RNG is excellent value.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:30 AM   #499
Regular Crew

After your comment in the custom preset part of this forum I searched for your movie to watch it.
Great recordings! I recognised a few places from scenes in series! Wonderfull work there.

One thing: the music...I might have chosen something with a touch of magic? But, like the presets...it sometimes is personal taste. :-)

Good work Marcel, and thanks for the comments about WB and CP's
Old June 1st, 2008, 09:03 AM   #500
Major Player

Thanks Gert,

Actually the music was just a very quick choice...automatically generated by Adobe Soundbooth. Not my favorite either, but the only thing I had handy.

I'm not sure when you watched the clip, but you may have seen it early this morning (early my time, that is). That was actually a test clip trying a different compression. But I found it tended to wash the colors out a little so I just replaced it with the original. You might try watching it again to get a better idea of what the preset does.
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:09 AM   #501
Regular Crew

The Couch

Hi,
here a new lighting experiment, XHA1 and Letus Extreme.

Enjoy!

http://www.vimeo.com/1099139

Giovanni Speranza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM   #502
New Boot

Nice video and very nice looking girls ;-)
I have question regarding the two last seconds of your video. Did you use some sort of special plugin or just combined some simple tools for that effect?
Viimar Lindau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:52 PM   #503
Regular Crew

Thank you.
It was a combination of a picture shrinking plugin + a white circle shape
Giovanni Speranza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:40 PM   #504
Regular Crew

Thanks for the great feedback! Its greatly appreciated. I've noticed this forum is a weath of knowledge and I'm greatly appreciative of that.

"Makoto Schoppert: I noticed the shot of the sun in the beginning. I've been a little paranoid of shooting the sun because of the warnings in the manual. Does anyone know what kind of damage, if any, pointing the lens at the sun can cause?

Nice video btw, the colors look good. Did you use a preset? "

I missed that part of the manual.. whoops! I just kinda dive into things sometimes.
As for the preset, I used Steven Dempsey's VIVIDRGB preset for the whole shoot. Although the opening scene of the courthouse, I had to correct in post cause it just looked to cold and uninviting, other than that just that preset.

Thanks again for everything. Constructive critism is what I need, thanks all!
Jeremy Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #505
Regular Crew

I've gone back and forth with Iaf and regular auto. They both pulsate a little while zooming or panning and zooming but overall I think the IAF doesn't soft focus nearly as often as regular. The regular seems to drift quite a bit when there isn't a reason to...
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #506
Major Player

I have come to the realization that Canon Auto Focus is inferior to Panasonic. It is not very forgiving and seems to go out of focus for no reason.
The musical could have been captured with manual focus as long as you had set up your distances first.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #507
Regular Crew

Clips so far with A1. Advice and tips please if you have any...

Heres all the clips ive gotten on my xh a1 so far. I think I can get better looking footage with better settings and I think you pros could help me out haha. I know the filming isnt good but I got that part wired now. Let me know if you have any advice for any settings thanks.

http://vimeo.com/1120774
John Cambell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #508
New Boot

that goofyfooter in the beginning kills it! and is that kalani's song from sipping jetstreams?
there are some good surf clips in there. my only advice would be (as i said before) smooth and steady shots, and better camera adjustment (aperture, shutter) for brighter shots, and/or some color correction.
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:49 AM   #509
Regular Crew

how so should I change the aperature and shutter... I think im going to try aperature around 4.0 to 5.6/5.8. and shutter speed at 1/300. What do you think about that
John Cambell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #510
Regular Crew

Hey John,
Same as Morgan I think its a little underexposed plus the colors are a little flat. You might try using the Vividrgb preset and get some popping colors out of it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders