Canon XH series -- various sample clips - Page 38 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 12th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #556
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cee View Post
Very nice. Made me see that the possibilities are only limited by the imagination.
Thanks Tim
Farid Bouchakour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #557
Major Player

Wildlife in a Canadian National Park

Enjoy and comments are welcome :)

http://www.vimeo.com/1342832
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #558
Major Player

I would love to know what preset you were using as well as what framerate you were shooting in... Gorgeous looking shots man... Great job...
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #559
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Davis View Post
I would love to know what preset you were using as well as what framerate you were shooting in... Gorgeous looking shots man... Great job...
Hi Doug,

I shoot with the factory default preset. I don't generally like to shoot with any correction done within the camera as my latitude for correction in post has be compromised after using a camera preset. In almost every shot I have stretched the blacks to increase the contrast and sometimes a bit of colour saturation is added to liven up the colours slightly. My tools of choice in that regard are the new Magic Bullet Looks 1.1 or the colour correctors and secondary correctors in Vegas Pro 8.

This footage contains both 30f and 24f footage all rendered to 23.97 .h264 for Vimeo. You can especially notice the 24f judder during the pan/tilt up to the frog. It's the one point I wish I had gone to either 30f or 60i. I'm having better luck with pans shot in the 30f so I think while I like most things in 24f, the faster 30f still has a filmish look with less chance of judder.

Thanks for the compliments. If I ever get the time...(LMAO, I have three jobs until fall) I would love to put all the footage I get from the park this year into a longer length documentary or travel info video.

Very nice demo reel btw! Good looking video and well done graphics and effects.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #560
Regular Crew

Nicely done. Watching this and reading your settings info is a definite guide for me just starting out. Thanks for sharing this video.
Tim
Old July 19th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #561
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Schryver View Post
One thing I will say about the XH-A1 is that the "Full Auto" setting does quite well under the scenario of outdoors, sunlight, and good contrast. So I wasn't all that chagrined about having to use the dreaded "green square" setting.
That is some good advice to know Will, Thank You I will keep that in mind. Once again, Killer Captures !!!
Old July 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #562
Regular Crew

Cheese production

A little docu from a company in Kezmarok Slovakia. Without narration.
http://www.vimeo.com/1411003
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #563
Wrangler

Hey Ivan! Is it a state secret? Cuz it's a "private video".
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:54 AM   #564
Regular Crew

Sorry- i am new to vimeo. Its public now.
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #565
Regular Crew

deleted.sorry
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #566
Regular Crew

Concert at night. (low light test) What do you think?

this was my first evening shooting with XHA1. Quite low light. It affected the auto focus a little bit in that it was searching for light to get proper focus.

shot at 25fps, between 2.8 and 4.7, no gain, in manual.

http://www.vimeo.com/1363128
as well as
http://www.vimeo.com/1361972

over all i was quite happy with the outcome, considering that the show was not actually lit for production. i just turned up with my camera.

please let me what you think.

how can i do it better next time? be brutal.

aloha

jai
Jai Gabbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #567
Inner Circle

The vimeo images are quite clean - comments? Well forget autofocus - causes more problems than it solves. In dim light it's just too risk. The lighting goes red and it suddenly hunts away. Focus practice is important, look for clues in the picture, you notice it's a little soft, but which way to go? Look at the background for clues, if that is sharper than the subject, then you need to focus forward, if the back is worse than the subject, then focus back. All this said - yours was quite good.

The biggest issue for me was sound. The guitar in the second clip was good, but the vocal, via the PA spoilt it. Also - was the chair creaking? With planning (which wasn't possible here, I guess) then a direct feed from the vocal mic would have helped. In the Jazz clip, even the bass was clean, which I was surprised by.

Never heard a vocal trumpet before!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #568
Regular Crew

cheers paul,

bloody chair! we also had issues with the muso banging the floor with his foot. i was on the same wooden surface so felt every little tremor. note to self.

ok, no autofocus? i think i would like to have a slightly larger....... LCD screen.
i got annoyed with the autofocus when i would try and pull a very slow focus it would kick in and ruin it.

i was just worried that since i was shooting with such a shallow depth of field in very low light that my focus would be all over the shop.

they want me to shoot their next home concert so i will be addressing all the sound issues.

would it be more of a pain in the ass to have them record a master tape with all their equipment and then sync it in post?

or have a couple line ins to the xha1 and save time in post. i have never tried the former.

cheers again, can't wait to shoot the next one in a couple weeks.

aloha

jai
Jai Gabbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 05:29 PM   #569
Regular Crew

Trailer Shot With XH-A1

Hi everyone. This is a 2 minute trailer I shot with my XH-A1 for a film of mine called Kragtown. I had to film the entire thing in one day so some of the shots are not too great but the night shots should give you a good idea of what it's like filming with this camera in total darkness with 2 1k lights.
http://www.kragtown.com/kragtowntrailer.mov
Paul Whittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 05:45 PM   #570
Regular Crew

I really enjoyed watching your trailer! At first I thought it was kinda serious, but then realized it was more of a comedy (unless it was supposed to be serious, in which case, sorry).

I was definitely amused, and was also impressed by the image quality. It looks great!

What did you use to get those moving shots at the beginning (and throughout the film)?
Dmitry Futoryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders