Canon XH series -- various sample clips - Page 56 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 26th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #826
Regular Crew

Good work Curt,

Some simple constructive suggestions (I am not keen on the word criticism) would be, and in no particular order:

Background colour and shirt colour are very similar (both are shades of grey), so in order for you to stand out more from the background you could start by changing one of these.

Use the Rule of Thirds for your own positioning, making sure your body is turned slightly into the shot, although obviously you keep looking into the camera. You could balance this by placing your equipment (spray, swab, etc) a little bit off to the other side of the shot to give balance instead of starting with it all in front of you.

Make sure you can comfortably reach them all (and stack them like a shop display if there is a need such as pushing a particular product). That way, you can do cutaways to each item as you describe what is needed, and can get each item as you need it.

Keep the camera you are going to clean in front of you (you can pick it up and point at the sensor, etc (making sure you look at whatever you are pointing at), as you describe what you intend to do. This will reduce your "stiffness".

A simple 3 point Lighting setup on you (especially when combined with the issue of shirt and background colour) will make a significant difference to the look of professionalism (search this forum or do a google and there is a large amount of info and samples you can learn from). Throw a light on your equipment as well, but make sure it does not dominate the shot. Think still camera portrait lighting if that helps.

If you don't have the budget for some simple cheap lights, (and again there are lots of threads on this forum suggesting cheap ways of lighting) then do a very basic test shoot of yourself as a talking head with a reading lamp (borrow them from friends if necessary) behind you on the floor aimed at the back of your head and shoulders and another one throwing light on the side of your face which is more in shot and then fiddle about and see what happens as you reduce or increase the distance between you and the light. You can always place a white bed sheet so that it reflects a bit of light from your two light sources onto the side of your face which is more away from the video camera, so it does not have shadow which is very dark.

Remember to do a white balance though and make sure the lights are all the same type (tungsten, fluorescent).

Simple stuff really but makes a huge difference and since you have done a great job already I look forward to seeing some quite dramatic improvement in future episodes with just these changes.
Colin Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #827
Major Player

Bill-
The concept is really good. WAY too good to discard. Splice in some scenes of him with his girlfriend laughing loving, then at the airport or bus station close up of their hands slowly parting, the vehicle departing, then him alone walking lonely streets, the world passing by, then at the end of the song as he strums the last note, an over the shoulder shot of him and the open guitar case, feet fade into view, a dress, a hand tosses coins into the case, fade back and it's her back in his life, cut print, off to MTV.

This is like deja vu like maybe I've already seen it on MTV.

Is that an original song?
What type of wireless?

Thank you.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #828
Major Player

Hey Bill,
Thanks for the encouragement. That is actually a Sennhesier G2. I did one shoot from across the road and it was just too far. This worked alot better. The concept of this is one shot from begining to end. We had talked about making it into a narrative but i like the natural audio and the setting... Thanks again...
Bill
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #829
Regular Crew

yes, purple.

thank you
Janson Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #830
Major Player

From the Tower - Shot on XHA1

Heavily graded with MBL and shot on XH-A1. I used a custom preset also, but I think my post-work kind of obliterated it!

From the Tower on Vimeo

-Steve
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM   #831
Major Player

I thought the tilt shift pieces really captured that calssic 'minature look' beautifully.
I'm interested in what this 'filter' is?
Old March 1st, 2009, 03:32 PM   #832
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I thought the tilt shift pieces really captured that calssic 'minature look' beautifully.
I'm interested in what this 'filter' is?
On the left hand side of MBL, you have all those preset "looks". One of them does tilt-shift wannabe effect (it creates a horizontal band in-focus and blurs the rest, it also bumps up the brightness and blooming too, i think). Try it out, it comes very close considering that to get the real effect you would have to drop at least a grand on a proper TS lens.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM   #833
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lewis View Post
MBL
Ahhh. That's quite effective for a post thingie.
Cheers.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:00 PM   #834
Regular Crew

Band Projection filmed on Xh-A1

INTRODUCTION - The Dirty Disco(Live Projection Film) on Vimeo
Filmed this for a friends band, for use in their live show. First try of the A1 in low light with auto gain turned off. The camera worked great in these conditions. Slowly getting to grips with using more manual control, this board has been a great help for information.
Paul Hatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #835
Regular Crew

crocus

some 'old' footage of crocuses.

crocus on Vimeo

Ollie
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #836
Major Player

Alice Keck Park - XHA1

Another short subject video shot on xh cam and magic bullet looks:

Alice Keck Park on Vimeo

-steve
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #837
Regular Crew

solid Rocks

Two of my favourite places along the Jurassic Coast in South West England.
If you are ever down this neck of the woods, these landmarks are definitely worth a visit.

solid Rocks on Vimeo

Ollie
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #838
New Boot

Great Video. Your final output looks wonderful.

What was your work flow?
J.P. Castel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #839
Regular Crew

Thanks J.P.!

I usually start by making a nice cup of coffee (black, no sugar). Then I edit in FCP and output via Compressor using the compression workflow suggested by Vimeo.
Old March 10th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #840
New Boot

Yeah i start with coffee as well :)
Man it is so great to see how far the camera can be pushed. I still can't stop watching the shots with the rock arch, especially the one around (1:50) Great composition. I have just recently switched over the the Final Cut Work Flow and i must admit that it is great. I will miss my Premier crashes however. I haven't yet had the chance to use the compressor yet, but now i will definitely give it a try. Your video reminded me of my great times in Dover Priory thanks.
J.P. Castel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders