A1 Lux Rating in Canon Literature at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A1 Lux Rating in Canon Literature

I was looking thought the A1's manual and noticed it states that minimum illumination is "0.4 lux". I had no idea prosumer cameras were capable of this. Lower than 2 or even 1 lux, perhaps, but 0.4? What am I missing here?
Adam Palomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Adam, what you're missing is the writing in parenthesis that accompany that spec: most notably, that 0.4 lux is achieved with 18db gain at a shutter speed of 1/3rd of a second (which is the slowest shutter speed possible in 24F mode). Now I think that a shutter speed of 1/3rd of a second will give you an interesting special effect, but I'm not sure how useful that will actually be for shooting video. The recommended illumination is 100 lux, which is far more sensible. Cameras need light!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #3
Major Player

I never believe LUX ratings they are always subjective. I can tell you that the XhA1 does pretty well, but needs light and can't see in the dark.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I was trying to compare the A1 to the Sony V1U. Sony says it's 4 lx with F1.6 at 18 dB. But, since they don't say at what shutter speed, it's kind of hard to tell. I suppose time will tell.

I remember when the VX1000 came out and was later replaced by the VX2000. The differences between 4 lux and 2 lux where evident in comparison videos, but cross manufacturer comparisons based on specs only are a lot trickier, but they give one a sense of what to expect. I Can't wait for a hands-on comparison between the HVX200, the A1 and the Sony V1U.
Adam Palomer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders