DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH-G1 in my hands at last! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/81784-xh-g1-my-hands-last.html)

Peter Ferling December 14th, 2006 07:03 PM

XH-G1 in my hands at last!

Ah, the new camera smell when you first open the box....

My first impressions with this camera are very positive. It's big, but not more so than the XL1s. Better balance, strong build, but not as heavy or bulky as an HVX.

It will take some practice to relearn the location of the controls without taking my eyes away from the viewfinder, which on the Varizoom DVrig is at a confortable position. I'm used to side mounted viewfinders, but this setup is just a better fit.

The Marshall HDA monitor is sharp enough for judging focus, even though I'm presently going in via composite BNC (RCA jacks on the included component cable -not very pro. I'll have find a replacement or some adaptors).

I'm not liking the IAF at all. It's too touchy. It's ok for objects ten feet away, but focus on something in arms reach, or zoom in for a tight shot and gets confused as to which object to focus on. (I'm disabling it with the matte box anyway).

The DVRig Pro is a definite buy. I can easily handle this within a busy OR, and the fact that I can point the camera downward is a vital need.

I'm going to test out the HD-SDI tommorrow (if my cineform plugin arrives...) Here's some picts:

http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=753&c=51

Pete

Chris Hurd December 14th, 2006 07:05 PM

Looking great, Pete! Congrats -- and thanks for the pics,

Michael Y Wong December 14th, 2006 08:51 PM

Wow Peter! I thought I buy alot of gear! Congratulations!

Peter Ferling December 14th, 2006 08:54 PM

Thanks and your welcome! I was tempted to bring that thing home... however, I opted to bake cookies with my daughter. The wife would approve... :)

Peter Ferling December 14th, 2006 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Y Wong
Wow Peter! I thought I buy alot of gear! Congratulations!

Well, there's buying gear and then try finding the time to use it : )

Steven Dempsey December 14th, 2006 09:25 PM

Peter, nice rig. What are you using to support your Marshall monitor? Where did you get it and how much?

Peter Ferling December 14th, 2006 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey
Peter, nice rig. What are you using to support your Marshall monitor? Where did you get it and how much?

Thank you.

The marshall is hanging off a Noga locking arm. Pretty tough.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Andrew Ott December 14th, 2006 10:38 PM

Sweet rig. Bet you're proud.

Peter Ferling December 14th, 2006 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Ott
Sweet rig. Bet you're proud.

Only somewhat... :) Actually, I'm more relieved. I won't be having to perform mirales with 4:1:1 green screens, (I'll know more about that in a few days).

I've installed an Xena HS board, and will see what an HD-SDI capture looks like in PPro 2. Wish me luck... :)

David Ziegelheim December 14th, 2006 11:07 PM

Which rails are those? Cavision? And which matte box?

Thanks,

David

P.S.
I've got to stop posting in the wee hours of the morning.

John Huling December 15th, 2006 05:34 AM

Peter could you post where you got the Matte box, Rails etc and which model Cavision that is? What filters you have for it etc.
Thanks

Philip Williams December 15th, 2006 05:40 AM

That just looks awesome Peter. Looking forward to hearing about your test results.

Jerome Marot December 15th, 2006 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Ferling
The Marshall HDA monitor is sharp enough for judging focus, even though I'm presently going in via composite BNC (RCA jacks on the included component cable -not very pro. I'll have find a replacement or some adaptors).

The adaptors should be relatively easy to find in a shop selling electronic or computer parts...

Mark Bournes December 15th, 2006 09:05 AM

Impressive....most impresssive...(you star wars geeks know who I'm quoting...) anyway nice Rig Peter, I'm looking forward to you posting some clips in the near future.

Peter Ferling December 15th, 2006 09:21 AM

David, John I order the cavasion kit CAMB44DVXN. It's both for the DVX and XL2 camcorders, and fits the G1. However, it's at the near or extreme positions. I think cavasion should come out with a more flexible model specific to these. However, it works and gets the job done.

I have the bellows to get a little more protection, at the cost of zooming through a little if I pull the bellows out more than 2 inches. The flap is sturdy enough with a locking mech that can be screwed down to hold it, but it's not variably adjustable.

The filter holders are metal, as well as the rail mounts. With the rods appearing to be made of carbon fibre. Both the flap and matte holder on the end of the bellows is ABS, which is fine as it keeps it light. So, the right materials are in use where needed.

Jerome, I'm aware of the adaptors, but even so, I still run the risk of having a cable pulled loose (which is reason for wanting BNC to begin with). RCA jacks on comsumer camera being hooked to consumer equipment is fine. But this camera, being HD-SDI should take exception and canon should have provided pro connectors for the component ends. Since this is a custom cable, I'm tempted to break out the wire-cutters and solder on some BNCs instead, (are you listening Canon?)

Now I'm off to test the signals and such. I'll see how PPro2 natively handles the signal with the Xena board. I now have a preset in my project folders for HD-SDI capture.