DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   2.7” LCD -excellent focus without external monitor? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/81792-2-7-lcd-excellent-focus-without-external-monitor.html)

Rick Hensley December 15th, 2006 12:18 AM

2.7” LCD -excellent focus without external monitor?

So my main remaining concern with the A1 is the 2.7” LCD screen.

Yes I have searched the forum and found scattered comments. But I am still concerned about it and would like to see a focused thread on this.

Is the LCD adequate for really GOOD focusing without an external monitor?
I know about the peaking and magnification functions. Do they work well under low light conditions? I know the eyepiece has more resolution, but I have problems using eyepieces.

Also, does Vegas 6 support all A1 output?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Andrew Ott December 15th, 2006 12:38 AM

The LCD gives me pretty good focus if I have peaking and magnificatoin on prior to the shot and I set it up right. It is capable of getting perfect focus if you give it enough time. A larger monitor might be better if you don't have all of your exact focal distances marked out before the shot, because sometimes it is a little hard to tell.

Vegas 6 "supports" all of the A1 formats, but I haven't found a way to successfully import the .m2t files through Vegas. There's a certain way where you change the capture program to another system which can import HDV files, but when I tried that it didn't register that my A1 was connected. I've been using the trial of Cineform ConnectHD to import my footage for now. Not sure what I'm going to do when that trial ends.

Rick Hensley December 15th, 2006 12:50 AM

vegas

thanks Andrew, can anyone else comment on these two issues?

David Liu December 15th, 2006 12:51 AM

is the LCD adequate for really GOOD focusing without an external monitor?

Yes. It is. (:

Tony Tibbetts December 15th, 2006 01:02 AM

I think the peaking function works great. You have to practice a bit with it, but once you've got it down your good.

Eric Dyer December 15th, 2006 02:51 AM

I don't find it difficult to focus with the LCD, the magnification is another plus.

*e

Philip Williams December 15th, 2006 05:32 AM

I've only shot about 2 hours to tape, but no focus problems so far. Between peaking and the distance display, its a pretty accurate process.

Doug Bennett December 15th, 2006 09:24 AM

does the magnification feature work when you are recording?

Khoi Pham December 15th, 2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
does the magnification feature work when you are recording?

Heck no.)-:

Holly Rognan December 15th, 2006 12:13 PM

I find that the LCD screen is actually pretty good, and suprisingly bright outside. I wish that you could magnify while recording. I was filming a wedding yesterday and I wanted to make sure that it was in critical focus for a lockdown headshot during the ceremony. I would use the eyepiece more if it wasn't so uncomfortable, what was Canon thinking?

Bill Pryor December 15th, 2006 12:30 PM

There's a thread on here with a link to the Sony parts site, and you can order the much better Sony eyecup that fits over the existing crappy one on the A1. I'll probably order it this weekend. You can also get the chamois eyecup covers so you're not mashing your glasses up against the hard eyecup. I used to use these for 16mm film camera eyepieces because they were crappy too. The Sony one, however, blocks the side light better.

I've always used the viewfinder for focusing, but I'm finding the high resolution bright LCD on the A1 to be good enough for good focus too. I really haven't used the magnifier other than to check it out. The only LCD flipouts I've used before are on a DSR250, PD170 and DVX100. The A1's may be smaller but it's better, I think.

Richard Adams December 15th, 2006 02:15 PM

I also think focus works pretty well when setting up a shot. Zoom in, magnify, peak, use Push AF to get close, and then adjust with the ring to be spot on. You can definitely get good focus.

Couple of caveats though. Peak and zebras don't work together, magnify doesn't work when recording, and it seems like the only lanc control that gives much focus control is the rather expensive (but cheap feeling) one made by canon. Also I think the focus ring acts to fast even when set to slow. So focus could definitely be improved I think.

Doug Bennett December 15th, 2006 03:18 PM

so if you get a better eyepiece is the EVF better than the LCD for judging focus?

Bill Pryor December 15th, 2006 03:29 PM

For me the viewfinder is always better, even with the crappy eyecup. There are some situations, however, where it's more convenient to use the LCD screen.

Chris Barcellos December 15th, 2006 04:04 PM

One trick I just tried using my just built DIY 35mm adapter with my FX1 (which requires a double focus) is to get a pair of highly magnified reading glasses. I already use a 2.00 diopter for reading, so I got a 3.25 and was able to see the screen pretty well. I get the "readers" at the local dollar store, so it ain'[t big bucks.