XH A1 in cold outdoor temperatures - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 21st, 2006, 12:22 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I am shooting at 19 degrees some mornings here in Vermont so far no problems except an issue with the image pulsing 2 x second. May be nothing to do with cold. I just have not had a chance to shoot in warmer weather till today 39 degrees!
John Huling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 01:21 PM   #17
Major Player

I was shooting some stuff in the cold yesterday and I noticed something a little off. I was shooting in 24f and shutter of 24 ( It was dark) and I noticed trailing stutter. It was kind of what footage looks like when the NR1 function is enabled. I dont know if it recorded that way or if the LCD screens response time was lower because it was so cold outside.

Was I dellusional or has anyone else seen this?
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #18
Major Player

First time using the A1 outdoors in the cold up here in Canada. Spent about 2 hours in total time out of my camera bag stuck on a tripod. Temperature was approximately -3c and there was wind up to about 7-8km so there was a bit of chill from that too. Camera seemed to work fine and even had it out twice the same day in different locations within a hour of each with no condensation issues.

Seems pretty solid to me...I was worried but not so much now.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke Ryland
Hey guys... I do a lot of outdoor videos but have never done any during the cold winter months. Is there any dangers associated with shooting video outside in freezing temperatures? I know you have to be careful about condensation in/on the lens and components (I will place the camera in a monster ziplock bag when moving from cold->warm, etc... but didn't know if these cameras are safe to operate in cold wintry outdoor conditions. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
The camera is spec'd at 0c (32F) however it should do fine below that, how far below before everything inside just freezes up, hard to tell, Canon doesn't publish that spec.

One thing to be aware of in extreme cold is battery life, cells will degrade quick in extreme cold or as we have here in Phoenix, extreme heat.

Do what it takes to keep that camera kozy, think of it as an extension of yourself and if you don't like the cold, don't think it would like it either and you will do just fine.
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Cold Experience

I shot in NYC a few weeks back and it was 3 F (with wind chill). Shot in Times Square and I was almost alone (that's how cold it was). The tape mechanism worked well, but after about 1 hour I noticed the focus, iris and zoom rings getting really slow.
If you are going to shoot for anytime below 30F or -2 C I would get a polar bear for it.
Ryan
Ryan Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I shot with the A1 in Quebec city last week for two consecutives days at -25 Celsius and worked fine.
Guillaume Tremblay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #22
New Boot

Doesn't work when it is real cold

I never use my XH A1 for more than 30-40 minutes in the cold and still have isues. What I can say is that my XH A1 will not record once the temp reaches 0 or lower and if the camera is out for any length of time. I even have had a few days at about 20 F when the camera worked some times and not others. Either there are skips in the audio and video or I get a total blue screen although the camera acts like everything is recording fine.

If you are shooting in conditions lower than the mid 20's, I would recommend a polar mitten porta brace. I will be buying one too as I would hate to ruin this expensive camera.
Korey Kirschenmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #23
Trustee

A1 pretty good in the cold

Like some of the early commenters here, I've shot a lot, ~30 tapes, in temps near or below freezing. Average shoot time is 1-2 hours and I've not had any problems. When it's really cold (for me that's below 20F) I have noticed the LCD slurring a little, but nowhere near enough to create a problem. I have shot in single digits and I gave out before the camera did.

I do have a Port-A-Brace rain cover on it most times because the likelihood of snow dumping on my head from a tree branch can be quite high. Maybe that helps keep it warm.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Probably a bad idea

Had a crazy thought reading this post. Might be worth a quick discussion incase someone else thinks of it and tries it (or has tried it)

What if, and it’s a big if, someone takes advantage of the spare space in the battery compartment and use a small hand warmer?

Initial thoughts are that introducing a chemical reaction inside the camera is probably a BAD thing. Second thought is the amount of heat and the temperature change within the camera might cause some interesting shrink/expansion issues. Third is I’m sure Canon wouldn’t approve and discard the warranty.

Maybe its been done and worked fine, but I thought it worth mentioning incase someone tries it and has a bad day.
Sean Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #25
Trustee

Sounds kinda scary

Like you said, a chemical reaction inside your expensive machine is probably not good.

I thought about using those packs inside the rain cover I have but it hasn't been necessary. I think I'd turn into an icicle long before the camera does.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #26
Regular Crew

A more rational thought

I was up in the mountains skiing a few weeks ago (8 degrees with hand warmers). I’d only had the camera a month, but didn’t do much outside work. After reading the post, the idea pop up, but reason quickly kicked in. I’m sure most people would'nt try it, but I could see how someone would be tempted on the A1.

I’m sure an external application is much wiser, but I do wonder about the sudden temperature change if you had direct contact on the camera body. The camera body temprature could be 80+ degrees in one area, and 20 degrees a few inches away.
Sean Malone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders