Image Pulses 2X sec XH A1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 16th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #16
Regular Crew

One only notices the pulsing in the shadow areas not in the highlights. Mossey Lichen laden rocks etc. They are an important part of the scene.
John Huling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Curious, is this a reoccurring issue? Has anyone else had this? I ask because I'm considering this camera (the A1, versus the FX1 which I can get on ebay for under 3g normally) and want to know of any problems with the codec. This is the first I've heard of this making me assume maybe this particular unit is defective but I don't know this for a fact.

-Nate
Nathan Brendan Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Nate
I don't think there is a problem with the camera. It's probably just me "camera operator" issue going on. Or something I am not aware of in the recording process.
That said I took some earlier advice and viewed the footage direct from the camera (HD) to a Sony HD Monitor and there is definately a "pulsing" 2x every sec about in the shadow areas. It looks as if one had slowed an old VHS tape down frame slow motion from the old days. If you look carefully you can see sort of a chromatic shift around details in the shadows. I would like to post the clip but I don't think it would show up on Computer Monitors.

Anyone reading my earlier posts? Before responding. Looking for what I may be doing or since I am still with in the time frame of exchange I could do that. If it truly is a problem. I have not heard of any one else except Holly Rogan that said she may have noticed it. It is a bit like looking at one of those pieces of art for a while to see if you can see the image...once you see it it's easy to notice everytime!
Old December 17th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #19
Major Player

I had an issue of pulsing much like you describe (for one shot) and I believe it was the image stabilizer that was trying to make suble adjustments combined with shooting a telephoto shot of some trees at dawn. Look at your source tape to see if it's in the tape, then rule out software.

Was the IS turned off?
Did you have Instant IF turned off?
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #20
Trustee

I have had the same problem rarely with same subject matter using my old GL-1. Fast moving water and stationary rocks which would pulse. When I moved over to a Pany DVC30 I no longer had the problem. Of course all was shot in SD when I observed the pulsing on the timeline during playback and on NTSC monitor.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I am pretty sure everything was full MANUAL. No AF, IS.
I checked the clip directly from the camera to the monitor and it is doing it there. I am waiting to do some more tests and I will report back. Unless anyone has an idea of the cause. Please read this entire thread so I won't have to repeat anything. :) Thanks
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:15 PM   #22
Regular Crew

John, are you talking about this kind of pulsing?
http://rapidshare.com/files/8447054/GOPpulse.mov
This shot is from my "Ice and Water" shots, 4x from trees.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=82090
Dark areas are pulsing 2x during one second (GOP speed).

At least in this case it's the limit of mpeg2 codec. A picture with fast moving water and still trees, that is very hard for HDV compression. My 720p downconverted (=second generation mpeg) clip shows this very clearly. I can't see it that much in the original FCP captured file, but after I exported shortened 1080i50 clip to Quicktime, pulse became more visible. So after all my "raw" 50i clip isn't 100% raw clip, because I have exported it from FCP and GOP order has changed. So that file is also 2nd generation mpeg2 file.
Better to import with lossless codec, like Bob Hart said. And I still think A1's HDV codec is very good.

But maybe you were talking about something else?
Poppe Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:33 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Poppe
I don't know why guess I am a complete idiot but I can't get those files to down load. I did before on Ice but for some reason they won't now. I keep getting a very long code that has to be entered and most of the edge letters are chopped off. Could you help?
Thanks John
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:36 PM   #24
Trustee

Look carefully at the block of letters. In the background will be 4 or 5 larger grey letters. That is what you need to use. Don't feel bad, I experienced the same thing. The letters are faint grey and are hard to see. Its one of those "where's waldo" things.

Regards,
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:37 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Huling
Poppe
I don't know why guess I am a complete idiot but I can't get those files to down load. I did before on Ice but for some reason they won't now. I keep getting a very long code that has to be entered and most of the edge letters are chopped off. Could you help?
Thanks John
There should be 4 bigger letters behind those smaller letters. Try adjust your monitor brightness. That could be the reason why you don't see them. They are all black and white.
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:39 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Poppe

I can't believe I fiquired it out embarrassed to say I did not realize there were only 4 characters under all those other ones!
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:42 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Huling
Poppe

I can't believe I fiquired it out embarrassed to say I did not realize there were only 4 characters under all those other ones!
It's like the pulsing, once you see it it's easy to notice everytime! :)
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:46 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Well the files would not open but yes once you see it you notice it everytime for sure. I shot some more waterfalls this morning all manual. I used your ice setting. Still get that pulsing 2x second in the rocks shadows especially large smooth areas.
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:50 PM   #29
Regular Crew

By the way I shot this footage on 2 XH A1's today just to see if I could repeat the problem. I viewed the footage direct from the cameras to the Monitor HD
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:06 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Poppe was shooting in '50i' you were shooting in 24F right?

What I see in some other shots is a 'going smooth - going sharp' movement. Specialy on large objects like a velvet black jacket. I saw it on the guitarplayer shot from Iku, during a pan. That was 24F material and it is the normal long GOP behavier. It sees an Iframe and another and renders the inbetweens.

It is something that is HDV-2. Normaly you want notice it, but if you do, you keep on seeing it. The Sony FX1 and Z1 did it more badly.
Raymond Toussaint is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders