Canon XH A1 Useful Accessories? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 31st, 2006, 10:24 AM   #16
Major Player

With all the possible accessories that we could add, I always let my current project dictate any new equipment.
For instance, I just finished a project on insects, for that it was a no brainer, I needed close-up lenses, before that I did a project with a lot of interviews, so I invested in some lighting & a wireless mic etc...

If your getting a mic and getting one that isn't stereo, you might want to pick up a Y cable for it so you wont have to cut & paste all the the audio into both tracts.
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 03:00 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez
The Firestore FS4 HD's and Pros work flawlessly with the A1's in case you want to go tapeless (or taped backup)....you might consider it as an "accessory" for the A1's!
Steve - has one been working flawlessly for you? reason I ask is that according to some posts in that forum, the HD stream doesn't seem to work that flawlessly...is your experience different than that?
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 04:03 PM   #18
Regular Crew

John,
Congratulations !
Michael is right about the shotgun being a great addition. We use the Senn ME66/K6 combo, but it is pricy. Many others use the Rode Videomic and like it and it's a lot more friendly in terms of price. And if you do go with a shotgun please take a look at the J-Rod as Michael pointed out.
I am not sure about the lens, but with the Z1's our first addition was a wide lens. We got the Sony, and then another wide from Century Optics. The quality is equal, but the Century mounts with a bayonette twist, and the Sony is a screw mount. I like the bayonette better.

Best of luck !
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 04:15 PM   #19
Regular Crew

buy it right the first time and save money.

AT4073a outdoors
AT4053a indoors
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 04:19 PM   #20
Major Player

"I am not sure about the lens, but with the Z1's our first addition was a wide lens. We got the Sony, and then another wide from Century Optics. The quality is equal, but the Century mounts with a bayonette twist, and the Sony is a screw mount. I like the bayonette better. "

Shouldn't need a wide adapter unless you need to get super wide. The Sonys 20x lens (v1 at least) starts with a 35mm equivalent of about 40mm +-, where the A1 is about 28mm so they added the extra zoom on the wide end, which is great... This is really a do all lens, with just a few exceptions.

PS- How do you get the blue boxes around quotes?
Old January 1st, 2007, 01:44 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Korrow

PS- How do you get the blue boxes around quotes?

Ancient Chinese Secret. :-)

Just hit the "Quote" button instead of "Reply" and it will put the last post in a box. You can edit what appears in the box, but leave the html stuff.
Glad to hear it's a wider lens than the Sony. I am liking the sound of the A1 more and more. That extra lens makes the camera very front heavy.

Happy New Year !
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 04:50 PM   #22
Major Player

I believe the stock Canon A1 lens equates to about 32mm in 35mm comparative terms. With the .8 wide angle, it then goes down to about 25.6 mm equalivalent. I enjoy working with wides, anbd really like the fact that the A1 is lilely the only cam in its class that can go that wide with such a high quality result. Canon likely beats out most after-market lenses in terms of quality build and photographic result.
The Canon .8 wide angle also allows me to use my A1 in my daily workout routine. No more long hours at the gym! I can now do arm curls with the A1, and get quite a good workout. Feel the burn! (Just kidding 'bout that--it's a great lens, but it is HUGE).
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:13 AM   #23
Major Player

Happy New Year ![/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Yes my mistake, it is about 32mm, but that is a big difference to the 39-42mm equivalent that is more the norm.
I agree about the wide angle & like to use something in the 24mm range, but the .8 on the 16X lens, brought it down to about 32mm which was wide enough for most shots.
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #24
Tourist

Accessories for outdoor use?

Hi Everyone,

I just ordered a Canon XH A1 last night.

I currently have a Canon XL-2. I found that the XL-2 is too cumbersome for my needs. I've been leaving the lens off because the manual says a shock could cause the heavy lens to break off. I haul the camera around on the trails with me.

The A1 is smaller, a little lighter and has a lens that stays attached. I thought it would be a better fit. I'm going to sell my XL-2.

I have a few questions.

1) Does the A1 work well for shooting fast (45 mph) objects? Maybe another way to ask that question is, does it shoot fast moving objects any worse than the Xl2? The XL2 worked well.

2) How good is the built-in microphone? I have wireless mics. But once in awhile I will have to shoot someone standing 10 feet away (outside) with some background wind. Should be considering a shotgun Mic (or another style) with a windscreen? Using a boom is not an option. I would need an on-camera mic in this situation.

3) The camera will be exposed to a lot of dust. The only protective cover I have found for the A1 is this portabrace. It doesn't look like a great design to me. Has anyone found anything better for dust protection?

4) I have an Azden wireless mic transmitter. What would be a good bracket/means of mounting it to the A1 that would work well both on a tripod and handheld?

Thanks for any suggestions and recommendations you can offer!
Doug Beckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #25
Tourist

70 views and not one response? Nobody has an opinon or suggestion????
Doug Beckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Beckman
3) The camera will be exposed to a lot of dust. The only protective cover I have found for the A1 is this portabrace. It doesn't look like a great design to me. Has anyone found anything better for dust protection?

im sure the portabrace has good dust protection otherwise they would not mention it on their website. the front section has a rubber band material that hugs the lens hood. Combine that with a 72mm filter and you're set for the front protection. as far as the sides? you may have to use the viewfinder instead of the lcd.
Kalulu Ngilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #27
Major Player

Hi Doug

Quote:
1) Does the A1 work well for shooting fast (45 mph) objects? Maybe another way to ask that question is, does it shoot fast moving objects any worse than the Xl2? The XL2 worked well.
Due to the heavy Interframe Mpeg2 compression used for HDV, it is safe to say that the shooting fast moving objects will be worse then via the XL2.

Quote:
2) How good is the built-in microphone? I have wireless mics. But once in awhile I will have to shoot someone standing 10 feet away (outside) with some background wind. Should be considering a shotgun Mic (or another style) with a windscreen? Using a boom is not an option. I would need an on-camera mic in this situation.
I don't think the built in mic is very good @ all, compared to even the little Sony HC1/A1U built in mic's it performs poorly imo. I would definately look into a decent shotgun with deadcat if not using wireless mics.

Quote:
4) I have an Azden wireless mic transmitter. What would be a good bracket/means of mounting it to the A1 that would work well both on a tripod and handheld?
I'd say the J-Rod, lol but thats cuz I have one, I mount a Rode VM, Wireless Reciever to the J-Rod while a video light takes up he hot shoe of my A1.

Hope this helps!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders