How to set up a firmware update wishlist? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 11th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #76
Regular Crew

Looks like we're ready to go to me, think all the major requests have been hit and re-hit. And althought they may not participate, my guess is that they read, wouldn't be at all surprised if someone from Canon's read the whole thread.
Stu Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #77
Major Player

180 degrees image flip on LCD and EVF

180 degrees flip option on LCD and EVF would be great. XH will sell volumes more in the upcoming year. Even Chinese sub $100 LCD monitors support this feature how come that the major manufacturers can`t implement it?
With every day passed more and more videographers become avare of the DOF adaptors but are mostly turned down by camcorder manufacturers not supporting image flipping. JVC is the only true listener in this regard so far.
Canon XH (not to mention XL H1) could rule this market segment if only minor updates were made to firmware. What else could sell camcorders better than the work done with those...

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #78
Regular Crew

If it's not too late, a HUGE issue for me is the inability to use both the internal and an external mic at the same time. Also, and I think this has been mentioned before but not included in the list, is the ability to switch between external and internal mics without going into the menu.
Larry Kamerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #79
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kamerman
If it's not too late, a HUGE issue for me is the inability to use both the internal and an external mic at the same time.
Great one, Larry, that'd make my top five too. Internal/external switching has been covered.
Stu Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
... inability to use both the internal and an external mic at the same time.
Good one!

Quote:
... ability to switch between external and internal mics without going into the menu.
It is on list position two, Larry.
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #81
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
the inability to use both the internal and an external mic at the same time.
The built-in mic is stereo and therefore requires two audio channels. There are only two audio channels in the camera to begin with. That's why you can't have the built-in mic and an external mic at the ame time. That would require three or four channels and there are only two channels available.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #82
Major Player

Chris, couldn't they use just the left or right channel, or combine them into a mono signal?

I am not an audio expert but that seems like it would be fairly easy to accomplish. How does the DVX100 do it?
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #83
Major Player

I just noticed something & pardon me if I missed any post regarding this.

Shouldn't when using a custom preset (either from a SD card or cam), "lock out" any accidental bump of the buttons. Meaning it's easy to accidentally change a preset without realizing it.

Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, one would think this should be a standard design. Correct me if I'm wrong here or missing something. And if I'm not... I think this should be added to the firmware list.

I should go dink around with it some more, but edit deadlines prohibit much :-\

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #84
Regular Crew

With the DVX you can switch the left or right channel independently between internal mic or external source (which you can switch between external line or external mic - for which you can switch phantom power on or off ;o) ... so you can choose if you want the left or right channel of the internal mic and on the other "empty" channel you can record from an external mic or external mixer etc. This is often soooo helpful...

So currently for the A1 it's just all external or all internal mic??! :-(
And can the lines be independently switched between line/mic/mic+phantom power at least?!
Soeren Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #85
Regular Crew

No and yes. You can't independently switch between line/mic but you can do phantom power per channel.
Simon Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #86
Regular Crew

Hm ok thx! Damn - why all this little "design hickups"... could be such a perfect cam otherwise. Of course it's fine as it is, but this and the focus/zoom thing bug me a lot... :-/
Soeren Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #87
Regular Crew

LCD/EVF/CCD image flip

This funcion is partially present on XL-H1. Enabling EVF flip affects only the LCD without any changes on camera output or recorded signal. Though it's only my speculation, it seems like the function is not built in Digic HD processor, but controlled from separate circuit. We may never see this feature in A1/G1 camcorders :(

LCD reverse in A1/G1 is triggered by position sensor and it's independent from the rest of the system. This doesn't leave much hope for customizable image flip feature either.

I guess firmware update will cast some light on that mystery that bugs users of 35mm adapters like Redrock M2. 180 degrees flip of the signal from CCD block would be the perfect solution, leaving all menus not affected while displaying and recording image correctly.

Who knows if Digic HD can do that... If it can, Canon please listen, give us one more link to Custom Keys.
Bogdan Tyburczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #88
Major Player

Alright, I guess time has come to stop collecting wishes and get ready for the final poll. Is that okay with you, Chris?
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #89
New Boot

-Support the letterbox option for video outputs during recording. It only works on playback currently.

-Add an option for advanced pulldown on the component video output when using HD 24f mode. This will allow much better pulldown removal when recording directly to the computer, such as one might do to avoid HDV compression for green screen work. Advanced pulldown is an option for SD, why not HD?

Cheers,
-Jamie
www.JamieKrutz.com
Jamie Krutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #90
Major Player

You dont need advanced pulldown in HDV, because only 24 frames get recorded to tape. HDV allows the compression to be more robust and flexible in this regard, so data compression is optimized.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders