A1 Issue When Recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 30th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #1
New Boot

A1 Issue When Recording

In the course of recording HDV at 60i I am experiencing a problem of the loss of a second or two of recorded footage. There is no indication when this is occuring during shooting, only upon capture or playback. The playback delays, freezing momentarily then resumes at a point a second or so later. During a 30 minute shoot this is happening a dozen or so times. Has anyone else experienced this?
Philip McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Major Player

I've experienced this once so far. I think this is dropped frames in a long-GOP format. I would suggest higher quality tapes.

I use Panasonic Master Quality DV tapes (AMQ i think)

cheaper tapes, used tapes, older tapes, will probably cause more drop outs than new, clean, quality tapes.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #3
Wrangler

Canon camera user manuals also advise to do a tape cleaning before using the camera to ensure the heads don't have any residue on them. If you haven't done that, probably should do so and see if the problem is resolved. If not, could be a trip to service.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #4
New Boot

I have used a head cleaner regularly, and apparently this hasn't resolved the problem.

I will see whether a better quality tape does any good though before bringing it in for service.

Thanks for the input.
Philip McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #5
Go Cycle

It is also important to keep in mind that video heads MUST be burnished. This requires about 10 hours to really get the heads to a point of true functionality. DO NOT use a cleaning tape to burnish the heads. This process must be both long and minute.
Old December 30th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #6
Major Player

I got a bad batch of tapes once (20 of them) & had massive drop outs.
First thought it was the camera, then my computer (just upgraded FCP), but used a couple of older tapes & no problem, go back to the new ones & have massive dropouts again. So it could be the tape.
Pani 63PQ
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders