UK or US model? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 30th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #1
Major Player

UK or US model?

Hi chaps

I would love an A1 but am not sure whther to go for the US or UK version (I live in the UK) I currently have an HV10 (which I love) but would love the 24f 30f and 60i ability of the US A1. I have heard that the A1 can also be upgraded to add 50i 25f support?

It just seems that the US version with 24f and 30F is more useful than the UK model with just 25f?

Are there any other drawbacks of importing a US model?

Any advice welcomed!
Cheers
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Why not get the UK model, which is supported by Canon UK warranty and service, and simply upgrade it to add the 60i frame rates. That's going to be easier and more economical than importing a US model and upgrading it to include the 50i frame rates.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris - I guess that would make more sense - I suppose I am more interested in the 24f and 30F modes so might not pay the £500 to upgrade the unit.

Isnt it cheaper to import a US unit with the exchange rate as it is?
Old December 30th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

But you'll lose warranty, service and compatibility that way. "Cheaper" is usually the most expensive mistake you can make.

Old December 30th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #5
Major Player

good points

well I actually saw the A1 in jessops today - so tempted...
Perhaps I should sell the HV10 and upgrade - any recomendations for the best place to buy an A1 in the UK?

Cheers
Old December 30th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

We refer all "where to buy" inquiries to our trusted site sponsors. In the UK, it's Production Gear in Hertfordshire. Contact info can be found at http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors

Old December 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #7
New Boot

Interesting. I live in Australia, and was thinking of buying the XH-A1 from America, since it would be cheaper ($4500AU as opposed to $6000AU if I get it over here). Is it worth paying the extra $1500 for warranty, service, etc?
Allan Liang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #8
New Boot

For $1500 AU you could buy a plane ticket, drop the camera off at the USA service center and have a holiday and money left over! Maybe consider buying an Australian 3rd party warranty like Mack warranty offered in the USA. Maybe the third party warranty will cover your needs.
Michael Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 05:20 AM   #9
Regular Crew

You may find that some that a US supplier will be willing to send the camera to the USA service center for you if you purchased the camera from them and paid the upgrade and shipping costs. Then you could pick it up when you knew for sure it is ready. I had a similar dilemma and had a word with one of this site's US sponsors and they said that it would be no problem to send it to the Service Center on my behalf (check them out in alphabetical order).

Having said this, my impression is that cost differences between buying int he USA, Europe and the Pacific region is significantly narrowing nce you calculate taxes, so you may want to consider the matter seriously before travelling halfway around the world to basically break even (time = money).

There is also a lot to be said for a good local representative, especially if you run a business and can not necessarily afford the ong down-time of sending your camera abroad for repairs, even if covered by an international warrenty.

best of luck in the new year
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:46 PM   #10
Regular Crew

'UK' stamp on baseplate of US model?

In the process of registering my A1 and sorting through all the propaganda enclosed with it and noticed that there's a large "UK" stamped next to the SN on the baseplate. Is this just a random thing?

Camera is from a Canon USA dealer with all the correct papers for a US model, just curious as to the "UK" stamp.
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:01 PM   #11
New Boot

Mine is stamped the same as yours. I have no idea what, if anything, it means.
Dick Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:27 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

I've seen "UJ" as well. It's just part of the S/N. Does not refer to United Kingdom.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders