Better low light performance? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #16
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kuching, Malaysia
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dyer
The truth is these cameras require more light than the older SD cameras. Good lighting, as well as great camera skills will benefit your results with these new cameras.
Yes, I support this one after comparing my A1 against PD150 in low light especially if you are videoing people. While A1 have lovely night time recording mode, that is what PD150 can't match.
Ing Poh Hii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #17
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ing Poh Hii
Yes, I support this one after comparing my A1 against PD150 in low light especially if you are videoing people. While A1 have lovely night time recording mode, that is what PD150 can't match.
Can you tell me more about this night time recording mode please? What does it do. Thanks.
Paul Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #18
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 234
HD100 Increases Sensitivity in SD Mode

Paul, you're right about some HDV cameras having better sensitivity. The JVC HD 100 gains about 1 stop of light when in standard def. mode. I don't believe the XH A1 was engineered the same way.

The Sony VX2000 and PD150/170 cameras are definitely better in low light than the Canon. They make dark areas brighter than reality...which is what video needs. The Canon can definitely recreate reality, but it can't make it better like the Sonys can. If you want that type of performance, the Panasonic AJ-HDC27H or AJ-HDX900 (with a nice Canon lens, hehe) is right up your alley. ;-)
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #19
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kuching, Malaysia
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Leung
Can you tell me more about this night time recording mode please? What does it do. Thanks.
Hi Paul, it is just one of the main "wheel dial option" on A1 (the moon symbol), and regarding it's function, Adam has a very nice comment, and for me, I like the close to reality yet very clean picture quality of this mode.

Refer to Adam:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reuter
The Sony VX2000 and PD150/170 cameras are definitely better in low light than the Canon. They make dark areas brighter than reality...which is what video needs. The Canon can definitely recreate reality, but it can't make it better like the Sonys can. If you want that type of performance, the Panasonic AJ-HDC27H or AJ-HDX900 (with a nice Canon lens, hehe) is right up your alley. ;-)
Ing Poh Hii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #20
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Düsseldorf, Germany / Denver, CO
Posts: 137
Anyone here who used a DVX100 before and switched to the A1? The DVX isn't that great with low light in progressive mode but it was always totally ok for me... so I'm just curious if it'll be much "worse" with the A1 or about the same?! ;)
Soeren Mueller is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:03 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network