Does follow focus really work with servo? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 5th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does follow focus really work with servo?

Folks,
Do these machines really work? Can you actually write your start and stop positions on the thing, accurately stop, then back to one, and repeat when your focus is actually being changed by a servo? If yes, then specifically on our XHA-1s - will something like the IndiFocus work?
Happy New Year.
- Jim
Jim Morlino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #2
Major Player

What you're speaking of is "focus preset" & is not the same as "follow focus" which is an entirely different thing. And yes, you can preset a focus depth setting, then focus on something else, & at the push of a button, go back to your original focus preset.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Bill.
I'm familiar with the programable focus preset capability on the XHA-1 and for many situations, this might work very well (I have yet to try it on mine) But actually I am speaking of aftermarket follow focus wheels/gears/dials/ rails/whips like the Chroziel and others. I see lots of pictures of great looking pro rigs on cameras that all have servo lenses. Do devices like the IndiFocus actually work with other than manual lenses for racking focus?
- Jim
Jim Morlino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #4
Major Player

ooops! I apologize Jim. I just re-read your original post & now it reads differently. Maybe I was zoned out or something. Also I never saw the mention of IndiFocus at 1st read. I guess I skipped the last sentence, DOH!
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #5
Major Player

I've used a follow focus on the XL2 20x auto lens and it works, okay, but not as good as using it on a manual lens IMHO. Other folks have mentioned that they are using it on auto lens and it works fine for them. My only beef is that the focus can lag and that they are sometimes overly sensitive and hard to get a perfect feel for. Using it on a small chip DV or HDV cam though is probably fine, since the DOF is usually pretty deep, even at longer lens settings. .

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders