Different "pulsing" issue. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #1
Major Player

Different "pulsing" issue.

A1 - This is NOT the auto focus issue that was in another thread. Even though a majority of the time I use Manual mode, I did find something peculiar while simply setting a slower focus speed on the handle & noticed it in both the LCD screen & the viewfinder as well.

In A/Auto or Tv/Shutter Priority mode, zoom all the way in, & then somewhat slowly zoom out (the slower the easier it is to notice), & there's a brightness pulsing that occurs. It's hard to tell if it's related to the zoom speed or not in regards to the intervals it does this. It seems to me there's roughly 2 pulses per second.

It doesn't make a difference if it's auto focus or manual focus. Can someone try this & report back?

TIA,
Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Bill, I have noticed this brigtness pulsing during slow zooms that you desribe for quite a while. But it seemed to me that it is only on the display, not in the take. That's why I was not worried about. And yes, this is NOT the AF focus pulsing that occurs during zooms.

Do you notice this brigtness pulsing on playback as well? If so - could you please upload a short demo clip?
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Michael, I just noticed this a little bit ago & haven't done any test shots for playback, nor have I connected a monitor for this either. Like I said earlier, I just noticed it while checking the handle zoom speed & thought "WHAT THA..."?

Also, I haven't been here long enough to post attachments. I'm just a lowly noob as far as the forum is concerned even though I've been in this silly biz that I love since '88.

Do you only see this in Auto & Shutter Priority mode?
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby
Do you only see this in Auto & Shutter Priority mode?
Bill, I have noticed it in TV mode.
Old January 8th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Interesting because I noticed this during capture, but never showed up after capture so never bothered me.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #6
Major Player

Bill, Noel, this brigthness pulsing during zooms (on LCD display, in viewfinder, or on capture display) may also be due to enabled OIS. Did you try it with OIS switched off?

Last edited by Michael Mann; January 8th, 2007 at 10:00 AM.
Michael Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #7
Major Player

Michael, I just tried with OIS off. Makes no difference.

Bill
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #8
Major Player

Hhm ... okay, but you never noticed this pulsing on your footage so far, right?
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #9
Major Player

All I've shot has been in manual mode. I plan to do a test run in those modes that exibit this anomaly when this freakin' deadline edit rush is over & report back. Barely have time to breathe or poop :-\

Bill
Old January 9th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #10
Trustee

When I had an A1 I noticed this also. I never saw it in the footage that I recorded (even though I do not have the A1 anymore I am still editing the footage). I figured it was a bi-product of the LCD averaging lines and detail. As the image gets bigger or smaller in the LCD the objects are lining up with the pixels of the screen and then having to re-align. It's kind of like scaling in the LCD. At least this is what I thought.

It is worse with peaking turned on too. Way worse. I see it on my H1 but not as strong.

Having said all this, this may have nothing whatsoever to do with this topic.

Peace!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #11
Major Player

Interesting theory, but it only occurs in A/Auto or Tv/Shutter Priority mode... so that would rule that out being an LCD issue.

Bill
Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:09 AM   #12
Major Player

*bump*

I just tested this & it occurs on BNC out AND playback as well. A slight but noticeable bright/dark/bright/dark, etc. pulsing. I also discovered it doesn't do this when in exposure lock mode... so, there's gotta be something funky going on with the iris when in Shutter Priority, Auto & Spotlight modes (not that I use those two).

I use mostly the Shutter Priority mode & until Canon fixes this, I suppose I just have to make sure I'm in Exposure Lock mode before zooming out. Funny how this doesn't happen during a zoom IN though :-\

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders