A1 users unite! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 18th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #31
Major Player

I was able to compare directly with the FX7 as well, and chose the XH A1 as well. Absolutely NO regrets for doing so!
The salemen at several camera shops (consumer as well as pro video) did repeatedly emphasize the advantages of getting Canon optics, over "Zeiss" as found on the Sonys. Frankly that really surprised me.
I continue to enjoy this cam every day. Just had a shoot last night where it just required SD in 4:3. Of course it did great. The advantages of the full manual controls and picture adjustments cannot be over emphasized.
Enjoy!
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
Congrats--you won't regret it (until, perhaps, your first payment is due). And, you'll be glad you with with bigger chips and the much wider and longer lens.
We went outside and compared the zoom range of the V1 and XH-A1 with my old XM1. Allowing for the fact that 16:9 looks wider than 4:3, the magnification of all three was virtually identical. We looked at the height of cars in the car park. This was exactly what I was hoping, as the well-chosen XM1 zoom range has been a boon on many occassions. On the other hand, it didn't help make the decision! One more feature where they scored the same!

I understand that because the chips are bigger in the XH-A1 than the XM1 and V1, the actual focal length in mm of the XH-A1 is longer to get the same image sizes, and that this also has an effect on things like how small an iris setting you can use before colour fringing becomes noticable, and the amount of depth-of-field you have at any given f-stop. These are features where the bigger lens scores some extra marks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders