Color red tests at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 12th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Color red tests

First time out with the A1, wanted to see how this cam preformed on reds, so I went out and shot a great old mansion about to be demolished. Red brick in bright sun could have been nasty, but I was quit impressed with the results.

I have only monitored on an sd production monitor, but know that the noise you see in the blacks & sky are from compression, they are not there at all on my Sony pvm.

I mixed it up with presets, rolling tape on the ones I liked in the lcd. What's very valuable sitting with a printout of the preset spreadsheet while watching the footage, excellent way to learn how settings act & interact.

Impressions: My baseline will probably be preset 18, negative sharpening values didn't do it for me, which is surprising, as my dvx, my gold standard, was set up fairly soft. I've alwasy equated soft with filmic, but 18 is +1 sharpening, and its plenty filmic to me. LCD is surprisingly close on color, but a bit tricky for focus, even with peaking. Most important - rich, saturated reds can be had with the A1.

For all: shutter at 1/48, 24f, gain -3, nd on most, every thing else corresponds to preset number from the library, in lower left. No cc other than slight crushing of blacks on the second b&w shot. Be warned - its a big file.

http://www.filehosting.cc/file/20843...treds-mov.html
Stu Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Very nice. My favorite, I think, was 17. A little brighter and warmer. Thanks for posting.
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Did you use the presets that are here?
I think, after did see you tests, that 17 looks very nice.. I was using 18 but I will do some other test with the 17.
Thanks for sharing it. Ciao
Old January 13th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano Folgaria
Did you use the presets that are here?
Yes, these are the presets from the dvinfo library.
Stu Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Does anyone know the technical reason why red is such a freakin pain?
Doug Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #6
Major Player

I dunno, but it always seems to have been a problem. I remember when I worked in news (all analogue), red was an "illegal" colour. None of the presenters could wear red jackets or shirts.
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Trustee

it has to do with the way the compression algorithm treats reds when compressing for tape.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders