DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH Upgrade Wishlist Poll v1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/84297-xh-upgrade-wishlist-poll-v1.html)

Martin Kornfeld March 29th, 2007 05:25 AM

Display Record Indicator Only

I'd love to see a display option for record on/off indicator only. I'm surprised I'm the first to mention this. I find it very hard to compose a shot, particularly when a subject is in top right area, with screen obstructed by all the indicators.
When turning all indicators off I'm then left with no record confidence in viewfinder/lcd. Why not just leave record confidence indicator on?

Massimiliano Minoia March 30th, 2007 10:21 AM

Lower knee setting

In my personal shotout btw Sony HVR-V1 and Canon XH-A1 I noticed that the knee settings of the A1 are very weak, almost unnoticeable. With the Sony in low knee I can really manage a full stop of higlight more than Canon, so, I wish in a most effective low knee setting (a ultra-low level added to the standard 3 levels for compatibility with older presets), I think it would be a great improvement in highly contrast images handling; sorry for my bad english...

Alex Leith March 30th, 2007 11:18 AM

So how are we doing with this. Is it time to present it to Canon?

Chris Hurd April 1st, 2007 08:35 AM

I'd like to present it with some kind of an even number. We're currently at 186 people who have participated in the poll, so perhaps we'll cut it off at 200 (but 250 would be even better).

Alex Leith April 1st, 2007 09:26 AM

Sounds like a plan! Thanks Chris.

Michael Mann April 4th, 2007 12:26 AM

Sounds good. Chris, how do you plan to present the results? In person?

Nicholas Tran April 7th, 2007 03:17 AM

Variable frame rates

The one thing that I really liked about the HVX200 is that it has true variable frame rates that allow you to have true slow motion without the ugliness of that post-production slow motion strobe.

I REALLY, REALLY wished the XH-A1 had that. To me, the camera would be just about perfect as it could be with that.

Deke Ryland April 9th, 2007 12:47 PM

How will we be notified that there is a firmware update for our XH cameras? Does canon send out an email to XH customers? Also, does anyone know how easy it is to update the firmware? Risky?

Chris Leong April 9th, 2007 11:05 PM

Firmware upgrade

I'm with Deke on this -

What's involved in a firmware upgrade? Download to a PC/Mac and then into the camera via firewire?

Or is it the old send-it-back-to-the-factory-and-wait-for-it?

If that's the case, then the one and only first vote should be - "allow for user downloadable firmware upgrades"...

Chris Hurd April 10th, 2007 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Leong (Post 657214)
What's involved in a firmware upgrade?

Read this thread: XL H1 Firmware Upgrade Details

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Mann (Post 653582)
Chris, how do you plan to present the results? In person?

I presented the original XL2 Wishlist in person, so I can certainly do the same with this wishlist as well. I'll have an opportunity to do so at NAB, so perhaps that's when the cut-off should be. But as I said at the beginning of this thread: don't get your hopes up too much, as there has never been any implication that Canon will issue a firmware upgrade for the XH series at all.

Erik Norgaard April 15th, 2007 01:16 PM

I haven't voted yet, unfortunately my wish list requires hardware changes - anyone got any idea of why the white balance buttons and switches counts no less than FIVE to set and they are spread around at random?

So, my number one wish is that the white balance button be replaced by a dial with six settings:

Auto, outdoor, indoor, Kelvin, A, B

Then ok, two more may be required to configure the last three settings. But that would eliminate/liberate two buttons.

My second wish is that the output switch be eliminated. Let "bars" be available for custom buttons.

My third wish that gain be a dial, maybe with one more setting: off/0dB, so it should be: Auto, Off, low, medium, high. That eliminates/liberates one button.

My fourth wish is that the preset selector buttons be replaced with a dial that lets you scroll through the stored settings - so you can go both back and forth. I haven't used presets much but as I understand it if you pass the setting you want, you have to go all the way around.

So, when will the XH-A2 get out?

My final wish is that all push buttons are custom buttons! Yeah! Photo button to be push AF (most important on my list), the four buttons on the barrel to be custom whatever, and that custom buttons are not restricted: Anything that has two settings on/off, should be assignable to a custom button: In the menu where a setting is selected one should have the choices: On/off/assign to button.

Cheers, Erik

Pete Bauer April 17th, 2007 12:28 PM

I hope I'm not stealing Chris' thunder here, but I know he is super busy here at NAB and anyway I took this pic with my camera so he doesn't have it yet. Without further ado, attached is a photo of Chris giving a hardcopy of your Wishlist to Canon reps including the actual firmware engineering managers. Yes, they do listen to you!

Alex Leith April 17th, 2007 12:50 PM

Yay! Go Chris! And thanks Pete for the pic!

Bill Pryor April 17th, 2007 12:55 PM

Awriight, way to go!!!

John Turner April 27th, 2007 11:34 AM

Switchable aspect on downconverted output

I need the standard def output to be switchable like the Z1. Right now the live output is only squeeze.

Help!