A1 Steak Sauce at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 19th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A1 Steak Sauce

I just had to make that title :)

2 questions

1. What are the chances that there will be an updated A1 in the next year or so that will include more variable frame rates? Like the HVX200?

And also, I've done a little searching and I just get more confused about the capabilites of the A1 and a green screen. I saw several posts that said the color sampling on the A1 is 4:2:0

But straight off of the canon website, this is what it says "The XH A1 has an output with 4:2:2 color sampling which ensures optimal image quality" ....Ok so whats going on? ....And has anyone actually tested the A1 with a green screen and have anything to say about it? or footage to share?

Thanks,

John
John Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Scott Billups tested the H1 vs. the Cinealta and said the Canon keys better than the Sony. I'd assume the A1 is very close to that.

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin
Scott Billups tested the H1 vs. the Cinealta and said the Canon keys better than the Sony. I'd assume the A1 is very close to that.
Which Cinealta?
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheeler
But straight off of the canon website, this is what it says "The XH A1 has an output with 4:2:2 color sampling which ensures optimal image quality"
Via analog component video output.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Trustee

If you plan on shooting progressive scan then the 4:2:0 is actually not that bad at all.

True progressive 4:2:0 is very clean are basically just has chroam pixels that are the size of 2x2 pixels. This is much cleaner then 4:1:1 because with 4:1:1 you have a chroma pixel that is the size of 4x1 pixels. This means huge holes in the horizontal direction that can be 4 pixels wide. P 4:2:0 is a nice even value that gives very clean results.

Interlaced on the other hand uses 4:2:0 in a different way and has to alternate the vertical samples every other line. This can create a mess if not dealt with well.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Via analog component video output.
What if you are capturing through DV? Will it downsample it to 4:2:0 or 4:1:1:? Even if shot in HD at 24F?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

HD output over FireWire (which is compressed digital) is 4:2:0.

HD output over Component (which is uncompressed analog) is 4:2:2.

Frame rate has no bearing on this. Keep in mind that component video capture does not include audio output... but digital capture by FireWire does.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I've been playing around with my A1 and green screen and it seems to look pretty good to me. I don't have any other camera to compare it to but as long as I light the screen right (that seems to be the hard part for me) It looks pretty good. I'll try to post a clip for you because after all someone with more experience than me might think it looks like crap.
Kevin Myhre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders