A1 White Balance in Plain English at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:25 PM   #1
New Boot

A1 White Balance in Plain English

A1 White Balance in Plain English

I’ve read the white balance section in the manual and been shooting some tests.

Can someone confirm my understanding of the options to white balance, and answer a few questions….in plain English. My hope is that this discussion will help the next person to ask. I could not find the answers in searching the forum.

To whit:

Option 1, Auto – Slide the AWB switch on the side of the camera to on and trust the white balance to the “mind of Canon.”

Option 2, Pre - Slide the AWB on the side of the camera to off and set the camera to manual mode. Set the white balance toggle switch on the side of the camera to pre. Under the lid of the LCD, slide the selector switch to Outdoor, or Indoor or Kelvin. If Kelvin is selected, press the white balance button, display flashes, turn the Kelvin dial on the side of the camera to your temp, press the white balance button again. Your Kelvin temp is now set.

The manual goes on to detail how to fine tune the white balance while Outdoor or Indoor are selected on the top slider and adjusting the Kelvin dial. What are the values -9 to +9 supposed to represent?

Option 3, Custom - Slide the AWB on the side of the camera to off and set the camera to manual mode. Set the white balance toggle switch on the side of the camera to A or B. Fill the frame with white object. Press white balance button. Wait till white balance display stops flashing and you are balanced. The balance is stored in A or B.

Now a question. I’d like to be able to dial in two Kelvin temps and store them via the A or B preset button on the side of the camera. It is not at all clear how to do so. In option 3 above you can store a white balance, but only using a white card and not dialing in the temp. Is it possible?

Whew. Steep learning curve here, but loving it.

Thanks in advance.
Geoffrey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Geoffrey, and welcome!

I'm afraid dialing direct Kelvin valuses into A or B presets is not possible; please see here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=78730&page=8
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders