Shock mount for ME66 on A1 that DOESN'T use the acc. shoe? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 26th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I agree, the standard mount is loud.

Problem with using a shoe mounted holder is I usually keep one wireless in it, another wireless on my bracket one, and a shotgun in the mic holder. I then swap xlr's between one of the wireless units and the shotgun as needed, and it is needed to grab tone often, because it's a pain to quickly switch back & forth between xlr to internal.
Stu Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #17
Regular Crew

The XL1s, XL2, and I assume the XL H1 all allow you to record internal on one pair of channels and external on another pair - though in 12 bit audio.

I would think one solution is to get a stereo to two mono miniplug adapter. Then the unbalanced miniplug from wireless and from mic could go into the miniplug. If your mic is xlr then use the xlr from the wireless one goes into each of the two xlr inputs.

Bill in Ohio
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Please take a look, as mentioned above, at The J-rod.
You can get them with 2 shoes on 1 bar to mount a shock mount and a radio receiver, which would solve your problem Stu.

Last edited by Jeff Rhode; February 6th, 2007 at 07:29 PM.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #19
Tourist

Mounting shotgun

I do use the Rode SM5 shockmount on my A1 to mount my Rode STG-2 shotgun mic. The Rode mic is a bit smaller than the mic holder provided with the camera so I originally tried using a thin piece of innertube that I cut as a spacer. It held the mic perfectly but I noticed that at faster zoom speeds the mic picks up the noise, via vibration of the lens. Hand holding the mic. next to the camera did not pick up much zoom noise at all, so I bought the SM5 shockmount and have been very happy with it. I still notice a faint bit of zoom noise at the fastest speeds but can live with it.
William Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Siegal
I was thinking about picking this one up. Seems like a quicker in and out than the jrod.

http://tinyurl.com/2pr2vp
I just went to B&H and tested the Lightwave MM-XL1 Mini Mount to see if it would work with the Canon XH-A1. It fits very nicely into the mic holder and allows one the option to either place the mount facing forward or backwards. The mount is well made and holds the ME-66 very securely (also quick in and out). If I purchase the Lightwave Mount I will post my first impressions.
Hugh Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Rhode
Please take a look, as mentioned above, at The J-rod.
You can get them with 2 shoes on 1 bar to mount a shock mount and a radio receiver, which would solve your problem Stu.
The J-Rod seems like a great idea, but $58 seems like a lot to pay. If the price was a little more reasonable I would be all over it. Another option I found was the Lightwave MM-XL1 Mini Mount ($125 @ B&H). Once you add a mic holder to the J-Rod the price is about the same (depending on what mount you use). The Lightwave frees up the camera shoe like the J-Rod. It is a little less versatile than the J-Rod, but it feels very solid to me.

Hugh
Hugh Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #22
Major Player

MZSCAM shock mount for ME66

I bought a Sennheiser MZSCAM shock mount for my A1. It fits fine on the hot shoe and is high enough to stay out of the lens view, although I'm not sure what will happen when the Rycote softie is installed.

However, I can also mount it on a short tube inserted into the microphone mount. That would be lighter, shorter and less expensive than the J-Rod and put less torque on the plastic microphone mount.

When the softie shows up I will update this. Now I need to get some right angle connectors for the xlr cable to keep the cable out of the way.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #23
Major Player

This http://www.mklemme.com/pole/dvcam.html seems like it's eventually going to be my solution when using a ECM-673 & a cam mounted light (even thought the 673 is only a tad over 8" long)... still a bit of that dreaded cam mic shadow. It seems as if you have a choice of mounting so the orientation is a little further back (1st 2 example pics)

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #24
Major Player

grrrr... dupe post :-\
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders