Default Canon Xh A1 Experience at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Default Canon Xh A1 Experience

Has anyone had any success recording directly with the Canon's XH A1 for ENG/Doc work?

Are you using mic on cam, boom, boom with mixer, wireless?

Thanks so much in advance.
Estebe Verde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I had very positive results doing just that.

Last week I shot a doc about the NAMM show in LA/Anaheim. I used the A1 with a Sennheiser wireless lapel in XLR1 and a Rode NTG-2 in the other XLR connector. Works like a charm.

I also used a Tiffen Steady Stick to stabilize the image without having to schlepp a tripod with me.

Cheers
Arthur
Arthur Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Kay
I had very positive results doing just that.

Last week I shot a doc about the NAMM show in LA/Anaheim. I used the A1 with a Sennheiser wireless lapel in XLR1 and a Rode NTG-2 in the other XLR connector. Works like a charm.

I also used a Tiffen Steady Stick to stabilize the image without having to schlepp a tripod with me.

Cheers
Arthur

Very Nice!!!

Did you use a mixer? How was the sound?

If you have a chance perhaps you could post a bit of footage to highlight each mics capabilities.

Thanks so much for your reply!

All the Best!
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Contributor

I normall shoot interviews with a Sennheiser MKH60. For documentary things I generally just stick the mic/fishpole on a C-stand and go directly into the camera. For studio things I usually use a mixer. Sound quality on the A1 is excellent so far. I've also shot one interview with the cheap Sennheiser G2 wireless, and it worked great too (although the mic you get with the system doesn't particularly like to be buried; I think I'll get a better mic for it).
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply Bill!

Do you use a field mixer when you go straight into the camera or do you just set your levels and let shoot?
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #6
Contributor

Sometimes I use the Shure FP33 mixer, other times the mic in. Line input from a mixer is always better, but nobody really can tell the difference for interviews and things like that, assuming you do things properly.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Sorry for the late reply... pneumonia got in the way...

The Sennheiser wireless was the cheap G2 system, BUT like the other poster said, the mic delivered is... well... rather poor. I replaced it by their flagship wireless lapel mic. Great sound.

The Rode has a very warm and nice sound. I took that one with me instead of my normal go-to, the K6/ME66. Very pleased!
It was used to catch some ambient sound too, since the lapel had a very focussed sound, needed in the extremely noisy environmennt of a music trade show.
I had to perform interviews while on the stand next door, people were torturing drum kits... things that make you go hmmmm... :D

I would have used the internal mic... IF I would have been able to combine XLR and internal. This is a very big one on my wish list, together with a custom switch setting to switch on/off the XLR (in the field it is not always desireable to futz with menu settings while you miss interesting footage).

I did not use a mixer, since I do all the audio in post on my ProTools HD rig.
The preamps in the camera are more than sufficient to do the job, it is just a matter of right mic placement and optimum gain staging. (I come from a studio engineering background...)

I can post some footage as soon as everything clears... gotta wait for the red tape :D
It is mostly talking heads though.

Cheers
Arthur
Arthur Kay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders