New owner/ New Videographer Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 27th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #1
Major Player

New owner/ New Videographer Questions

I just got an XH A1 and am diligently trying to learn all I can about it. My background is still photography and I have a few questions from the manual that I haven’t been able to find good answers to and would appreciate you video experts helping me out. My main use is corporate video and event work, editing with FCP 5 and output to DVD. Here are my questions:

The camera is capable of drop frame or non drop frame timecode. Which should I use? Does it make a difference if I’m shooting 60i, 30f or 24f?
If I’m only shooting with one camera is the rec-run setting the correct one to use? What would be the reasons (if any) to use the free-run or rec-run-ps setting?

What gain settings do you use for the L,M,H switch?

I read some comments here by Ash Greyson http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...xh+a1+settings
I want to simulate some of the conditions (especially low light) and create custom settings I can use in the field. I have a Mac 23” cinema display, a Macbook Pro 17 and a Panasonic 50” hdtv. Which would be the safest to judge look on to ensure a good look of my final product for my clients?

Is there a website or book you could point me to that would have definitons of video trems (knee, master pedestal,black strecth etc.)?

Thanks in advanced for your knowledgeable responses.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders